Author Topic: you can't deny everything.The proof is in the dust  (Read 19392 times)

Offline godscountry

• Mercury
you can't deny everything.The proof is in the dust
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
This is the link to a  article  in popsci magazine about the two scientists work.http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/vintage-space/proof-we-landed-moon-dust
 I believe Nature magazine also did a article on the scientist's work.A good reference is the documentary [For All Mankind]which has some high res shots of the Rover in operation.A lot of the footage is from the NASA frozen film archive.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
Re: you can't deny everything.The proof is in the dust
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
Good link!  The dust really is the clincher.  Pretty much any time you see the astronauts shuffling around you can see them kick plumes of dust that fly surprisingly far (indicating low gravity) and do not billow (proof of vacuum).  One of my favorite examples is from Apollo 16 Station 11 (North Ray Crater) when John Young falls and struggles to get up (1:14 in this video clip).

8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:02:16 AM by Count Zero »
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
I love watching the dust plumes from the LRV.  They're almost mesmerizing in their pure expression of aggregate ballistics.  Then I contrast that with practically everything else I see in the desert where I live, where anything stronger than flatulence raises an aerosol cloud that takes minutes to dispel.

Next week I should have about 2,000 CPU cores not doing anything for a few days.  Maybe a large-scale simulation and visualization would be the ticket.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
No, but the sand was washed and sifted, and there was no dust!  What do you mean, that's physically impossible?  And also makes no sense?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:49:29 PM »
For motion of the dust in the vacuum and low gravity I love this clip from Apollo 15:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk5GiF_mX5w
Skip forward to the 6 minute mark or so...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
I love watching the dust plumes from the LRV.  They're almost mesmerizing in their pure expression of aggregate ballistics.  Then I contrast that with practically everything else I see in the desert where I live, where anything stronger than flatulence raises an aerosol cloud that takes minutes to dispel.

Next week I should have about 2,000 CPU cores not doing anything for a few days.  Maybe a large-scale simulation and visualization would be the ticket.
hunbacked has never been in a desert in real life, hence his poor visualizations skills with dust/clouds
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
I just want to know how Jay knows how dust behaves around-

Wait, no, never mind, I really don't...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »
I just want to know how Jay knows how dust behaves around-

Wait, no, never mind, I really don't...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From years of observances ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »

hunbacked has never been in a desert in real life, hence his poor visualizations skills with dust/clouds
I have. Dust gets absolutely everywhere. The clouds of dust were somewhat overshadowed by the clouds of poorly conditioned flare stacks.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »

It's not even as though you need to go to the desert to watch the effect of dust.

Just drive along any dirt track in Australia and watch the dust just hang in the air behind you.

Several years ago I saw rally cars racing along dirt tracks on a hillside on the edge of Canberra. For a short time the dust clouds hung above the tracks. But over the following minutes the clouds gradually drifted down the hillside. It was almost mesmerising in its gradual inevitability.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:57:14 PM »
Heck, you get it on dirt tracks in Washington State, unless what you're on is a mud track.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »

I made a crude spreadsheet model when hearing Collier's claims that the rooster tails were not perfectly parabolic. Of course, if one accounts for the small fact that the particles of dust do not all have the same launch angle from the LRV wheels, then one never gets a perfect trajectory when observing the sum of all the individual particle trajectories. I randomised the angle of launch within a few degrees of a fixed angle, and plotted the dust particle trajectories. The overlapping trajectories appeared flattened, in accord with Collier's claims that they were meeting an atmosphere, but only by virtue that the particles all followed a different path as a result of different launch angle. (I think that makes sense).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:15:00 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »

I made a crude spreadsheet model when hearing Collier's claims that the rooster tails were not perfectly parabolic. Of course, if one accounts for the small fact that the particles of dust do not all have the same launch angle from the LRV wheels, then one never gets a perfect trajectory when observing the sum of all the individual particle trajectories. I randomised the angle of launch within a few degrees of a fixed angle, and plotted the dust particle trajectories. The overlapping trajectories appeared flattened, in accord with Collier's claims that they were meeting an atmosphere, but only by virtue that the particles all followed a different path as a result of different launch angle. (I think that makes sense).
So the particle interactions lost some of their velocities?
Eugene Cernan