Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)
« Last post by bknight on March 02, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »
I was under the impression that the Soviets used a nitrogen-oxygen mixture for their cosmonauts after the O2 accident that burned one of their cosmonauts.  But I could be mistaken in that impression.
« Last post by Dalhousie on February 25, 2024, 05:25:46 PM »
I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 27 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa), and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).
« Last post by Dalhousie on February 25, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »
I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 273.5 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa, and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).
Announcements / Re: New web hosting and down time.
« Last post by LunarOrbit on February 22, 2024, 08:10:45 PM »
Thanks for letting me know.
Announcements / Re: New web hosting and down time.
« Last post by Obviousman on February 22, 2024, 05:45:10 AM »
Oooops! Disregard - It worked on a subsequent attempt.

Hi!  I get an error message when trying to use the 'Mark All Messages As Read' button.

"An error has occurred! Unable to verify referring URL. Please go back and try again."
« Last post by Obviousman on February 22, 2024, 05:42:07 AM »
Announcements / New web hosting and down time.
« Last post by LunarOrbit on February 21, 2024, 08:33:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I transferred the website and forum to a new web host today, and it didn't exactly go smoothly. I think everything is back to normal now, but please let me know if you find any issues.

LO
The Reality of Apollo / Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)
« Last post by Dalhousie on February 20, 2024, 10:35:29 PM »
I am half way through this - what are other people's thoughts?

It's written without references and has some obvious sensationalised inaccuracies (Luna 1 was not a steel ball, Leonov did not nearly die during his EVA, and Thomas Gold was not a geologist). 

A few titbits that I have not seen elsewhere, some seem reasonable, some improbable.  Were astronauts really not interested in being involved with testing the LEM?  Did three three Apollo 1 "test conductors' (including the "test director") actually faint at their consoles when the fire happen?
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 17 Earth at Station 2 - evidence of rotation
« Last post by Peter B on February 10, 2024, 08:47:09 PM »
Excellent! Just such a neat and simple illustration.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 17 Earth at Station 2 - evidence of rotation
« Last post by Obviousman on February 10, 2024, 08:21:56 PM »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10