Author Topic: Vale Al Worden  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Vale Al Worden
« on: March 18, 2020, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Vale Al Worden
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Al Worden (Apollo 15) passed away today.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-remembers-apollo-15-astronaut-al-worden

I saw that earlier, sad but time does march on.  RIP Al.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
Sadly, not many of them left now.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
Sadly, not many of them left now.

Less than half, sadly. Of the 29 Apollo astronauts who flew in space only 14 remain now. From those 14, 11 of them flew to the Moon (out of 24), and only four of them walked on its surface (out of 12 who landed in total). The entire crews of Apollo 12 and 14 are no longer with us. Out of the 11 crewed Apollo flights, only the crews of Apollo 8 and 9 are still with us in their entirety.

It would be nice to think that at least some of those who went to the Moon in Apollo will be around when the next crew lands there, or even orbits, but it is looking less and less likely.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »

<snip>

It would be nice to think that at least some of those who went to the Moon in Apollo will be around when the next crew lands there, or even orbits, but it is looking less and less likely.

For me I would like to be around when the next landing occurs, hopefully it will be the US, but the Chinese are no doubt planning a mission.  I'm not as old as many of the Apollo guys, but I'm pushing the age.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
Godspeed, Al.  I didn't get to meet him, but I got to meet his commander.  And I know Jim by reputation:  he graduated from the high school here in Salt Lake that's closest to where I live.  (Also the high school of High School Musical infamy.)
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Been pretty busy so missed this somehow. Sad to hear. I really enjoyed his book. I think he’s the only Mercury/Gemini/Apollo era astronaut I’m aware of that wasn’t interested in becoming a pilot when he was growing up. It’s pretty amazing how far he progressed once he began training to become one. It’s been awhile since I read his book so will have to give it another go now that life isn’t so hectic. RIP