Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Recent Claim by Musk concerning hot 2nd stage start
« Last post by bknight on June 23, 2024, 09:20:21 AM »
Well they should, any moving parts by necessity leaves gaps however small they may be.  Gaps lead to plasma moving through those gaps as we viewed on the video of the reentry of Starship.  As stated earlier it was amazing to me that they still functioned after all that and oriented the vehicle vertical so the engines could light.  Not a perfect "landing", but progress.
Now they need to design the booster engines so that atmospheric drag doesn't tear them apart and they should have a catch by the tower. 
I found that the second tower at Boca will be taller than the first allowing stacking/catching the newer version which is taller.
« Last post by smartcooky on June 22, 2024, 11:55:34 PM »
Here is an interesting video - an interview of Elon Musk by Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut YT channel) at Starbase on a tour of the facility.

This was all filmed before Test Flight 4 and Musk talks about the issues with heat shielding and some of the measures they have been planning, specifically around the flaps and their hinge points, so its clear they did have some concerns about that before the flight.   

General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by Peter B on June 21, 2024, 09:52:55 PM »
There's a teacher (let's call him Mr Smith) at 11YOD's school my wife and I have a bit of a problem with. He's a nice enough person, but from things 11YOD and 14YOS have said over the years, we've had to correct several misconceptions he's taught in class.

11YOD is fairly mature, and has had enough contact with Mr Smith to provide a considerably more withering assessment of his apparent failings as a teacher.

Anyway, a month ago 11YOD went on her school's two-night Year 6 camp. One of the activities the kids experienced was throwing a spear with a woomera (spear thrower). The instructor had a suggestion to help their aim.

Instructor: Pretend you're throwing the spear at your big brother.

11YOD (muttering): Or Mr Smith.

11YOD's teacher (rolling her eyes): I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by Peter B on June 21, 2024, 09:38:28 PM »
Wife and I went to a school assembly yesterday at our local primary school (Kindergarten to Year 6) as 11YOD was to receive an award. Awards are normally presented by Principal and a senior teacher (let's call her Ms Brown). However, this time was different.

Principal: You might notice Ms Brown isn't here today, kids. Do you know where she is?

Kids: No.

Principal: She's gone to school for adults today! Can you guess what she's learning to do today?

Kids yell out all sorts of answers.

One kid: Your job?
The Reality of Apollo / Micro-meteor strikes on astronauts
« Last post by Kiwi on June 21, 2024, 06:59:22 AM »
Recently I was reading about bolides, meteors and meteoroids, and realised that I don't recall hearing of any micro-meteor strikes on astronauts and cosmonauts etc. from the start of space travel up until now. Are there any on record?

The Apollo spacesuit had 21 outside layers, some of which were thought to provide adequate protection against micro-meteor harm to astronauts by progressively breaking and spreading out the pieces of a tiny (grain-of-sand-sized) but super-fast meteor as it sped through the layers.

No doubt there are bigger rocks, from small pebble size up, zapping through space but perhaps space is so vast that the risk to humans is fairly low.

Do any members have any statistics or details of new designs?
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 1 - 'Gus' Grissom Press Conference
« Last post by Peter B on June 17, 2024, 06:43:25 AM »
Hi,
This might seem a strange request or question, but is there any evidence that Grissom even held the press conference that gets mentioned when people talk about Apollo 1? I had a dig around, but without knowing specific dates and locations, or even what press would have been involved, it feels like a veritable needle.
Does anyone have some actual details regarding the Apollo 1 press conference?

Thanks,
TW

I found something in Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" (page 23 in my copy):
Sometime during Gemini, he had told his wife, "If there's ever a serious accident in the program, it's probably going to be me." And a few weeks ago [prior to the Apollo 1 fire], at a press conference, he had said, "If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business..." But he was talking about dying in space.

I'm sure hoax believers will put their preferred spin on Grissom's statement to his wife. But as the go-to astronaut for the first manned flights in Gemini and Apollo, it's obvious he meant that the first manned flight in a program was the riskiest.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 11 and 17 imaged by South Korea
« Last post by onebigmonkey on June 14, 2024, 04:43:45 AM »
And finally (for now), another Apollo 17 one taken in June last year:

« Last post by onebigmonkey on June 13, 2024, 05:27:43 AM »
And Apollo 12:

« Last post by onebigmonkey on June 13, 2024, 02:17:05 AM »
S Korea continue to add more Apollo photos without any fuss. Yesterday I found Apollo 15 and 14:

Because they're pretty good at labeling relevant files in their xml I worked out how to grab all the xml files from their data dump, which can then be searched for Apollo, so expect more!
« Last post by JayUtah on June 12, 2024, 11:31:16 AM »
Discontinuities tend to create hot spots. Wing roots on supersonic aircraft are notorious for this. Sometimes using more robust materials is the answer, such as RCC for the space shuttle leading edges. But more often you can fix it by rearranging the geometry. Moving the flaps is definitely worth investigating, with the noted caveats that handling characteristics will change.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10