Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399650 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2017, 01:56:11 AM »
Check out Schwarzenegger's response.

I didn't vote for him for governor here in California, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how moderate he was despite being a Republican. Maybe that's because he knew he can't actually have any higher aspirations (i.e., for Donald Trump's job).

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2017, 02:56:20 AM »
Yep. Looking much better.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »
Check out Schwarzenegger's response.

I didn't vote for him for governor here in California, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how moderate he was despite being a Republican. Maybe that's because he knew he can't actually have any higher aspirations (i.e., for Donald Trump's job).

That response made me laugh, then I thought "Oh crap, Trump's gonna get him deported."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
I mean, Austria's a terrorist country, right?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Arnold was so President. Just ask anyone who knows how to use the three seashells.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
I've stayed out of this discussion, mainly because I'm a brit and not directly involved, but one thing which bothers me intensely is the position of Steve Bannon as Trump's closest advisor, and now part of the National Security Council.  He's made no secret of his extreme right wing and white supremacist views, nor of his desire to "dismantle the state", and yet he's now an unelected individual in a position of considerable power, and he seems to have the President's ear.

Trump himself is, I think, is well out of his depth.  He may have been a (moderately) successful businessman, but he has no idea about running a government, or of the need for careful negotiation and diplomacy in international dealings.  He also, to my mind again, comes across in his vocabulary, phrasing and expressions, as fairly low in intelligence.  Bannon, and others like him, appear to have a considerable hold over Trump, and are using it to push through some very badly thought out policies, and I don't see it ending well.

Trump's rampant narcissism isn't helping either.  It appears he can't bear to be criticised or contradicted, and will use every opportunity, no matter how inappropriate, to promote himself.  He's not painting himself in a good light.

I had hoped that, once elected, he would be more moderate, or that the rest of the Republicans would rein him in, but that unfortunately hasn't happened.

(I'm planning on visiting in August for the eclipse, so hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then...)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:17:32 PM by molesworth »
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
I said initially that I'll pass judgement after 6 or 12 months, and I'll stick by that... however President Trump, in the first two weeks of the administration, has not been doing anything to make my initial fears abate. In fact, the opposite.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
He's scary.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
I've stayed out of this discussion, mainly because I'm a brit and not directly involved
There isn't a single human being anywhere on or near this planet that isn't directly affected by this.

That's simply a fact of the modern world, and I say that as a US citizen who did vote in the election.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:48 AM »
I'm visiting the US in March and am very nervous. I have Iraqi stamps in my passport because of work from a few years ago. I had to get a visa because of this. But now I'm worried about being detained for hours in the airport on the arrival. US immigration was bad enough at the best of times and these aren't the best of times.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »

(I'm planning on visiting in August for the eclipse, so hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then...)

I have my flights booked and hotels, I´m staying in Florida and doing a three day trip to South Carolina for the Eclipse.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
I'm visiting the US in March and am very nervous. I have Iraqi stamps in my passport because of work from a few years ago. I had to get a visa because of this. But now I'm worried about being detained for hours in the airport on the arrival. US immigration was bad enough at the best of times and these aren't the best of times.
How hard would it be to get a new/second passport?

I know that Americans can do this if they have Israeli visa stamps when they need to visit an Arab country. It only makes sense that other countries could do the same to get around US foolishness.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

I have my flights booked and hotels, I´m staying in Florida and doing a three day trip to South Carolina for the Eclipse.
We're heading to Wyoming - big clear (hopefully) skies, and a chance to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  It should be a good eclipse.

Anybody else watching and taking pictures or video might want to contribute to Hugh Hudson's "Mega Movie" - http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/photo/mega_movie.htm. I'm also trying to figure out exposures for an "Eddington" type experiment, to image stars close to the sun during totality.  (Of course all off-topic, and probably worth starting a separate thread nearer the time.)
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2017, 03:08:28 AM »
How hard would it be to get a new/second passport?

I know that Americans can do this if they have Israeli visa stamps when they need to visit an Arab country. It only makes sense that other countries could do the same to get around US foolishness.
Problem is my visa is in my current one. In retrospect, I probably should have done that once I'd finished with my work there.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
So here's Trump's first real impact on the war against terror - after the disastrous raid in Yemen, the Yemeni government has banned any further ground action from U.S. forces https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/middleeast/yemen-special-operations-missions.html?_r=0 .

In other words, the U.S. has lost an ally in the war against terror. Well done, old boy!