Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 52757 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
I talked to my Ren faire boss about the whole thing yesterday and about whether I think our big August event is going to happen.  If it does, I'm not sure I'm going to go.  I'm definitely not taking the kids.  It'll break Zane's heart, but better that than having him catch it just before he can be vaccinated.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
Hbomberguy has done quite the magnum opus on anti-vaxx.

Didn't even have to get into the point that people on the spectrum aren't lepers.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »
Did first shot of Astrazeneca and had side effects. Mysciatic pain flared too much I couldn' t sleep at night and Panadol did not work for me. Second day was better, but still there was some pain, so I sweated it out in the afternoon and woke up healthy.
Still all this is better than having covid and exposing myself to possible death
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
I didn't have any effects with my first (maybe tender at the injection site for a few hours?), and nothing with the second.

Turns out my eldest sister had her shots the same time - same result (or lack of results).

Next youngest sister had her first weeks ago, and is awaiting her second shot in a couple of weeks time. Same thing - no reaction at all.

These were all AZ.

The youngest sister doesn't want to get vaccinated....

Offline nikolai

• Mercury
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
I had Moderna.

The side effects were somewhere between extremely mild and non-existent.

Very slight, barely noticeable arm soreness.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
All of my parent friends spend their time talking about when the kids can get vaccinated.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »
My first shot was AstraZeneca and it caused some pain and soreness in shoulder area. I get similar effects from flu shots but this time the pain was harder and lasted longer. My second shot was in last week, Pfizer-BioNTech. No effects at all.

Offline nikolai

• Mercury
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »
My first shot was AstraZeneca and it caused some pain and soreness in shoulder area. I get similar effects from flu shots but this time the pain was harder and lasted longer. My second shot was in last week, Pfizer-BioNTech. No effects at all.

I didn't know you could mix and match like that.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:02 AM »

The health authorities here in Australia are strongly recommending against mixing vaccines.

Just last week they recommended against Astra-Zeneca for over 50s, unless you've already had a first dose of A-Z. As that's the boat I'm in, I'm sitting back to wait for the second A-Z dose. But apparently there are a lot of over-50s who've been given A-Z first up who are now seeking Pfizer for their second dose, and the government is trying to stop that.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2021, 07:44:41 AM »
Canada is mixing some (as official policy), notably those who had AZ for the first have been told they can receive Pfizer or Moderna as the second. There's some (weak) evidence that this actually provides better protection.

There's also a supply issue, right now Pfizer is in short supply (in Ontario at least if not Canada as a whole), so people getting their second dose are, apparently, more likely to receive Moderna even if they had Pfizer as the first shot.

EDIT: More on mixing in Canada, from CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfizer-moderna-mixing-vaccines-covid-19-canada-1.6075765
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:14:26 AM by grmcdorman »

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »

My first shot was on Thursday. Next Monday Finland suspended AstraZeneca vaccinations citing the blood clot risk. Later AstaZeneca vaccinations were restarted on people over 65. Since I'm in my forties, mix and match was the only option.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »
Thirty people attended an event in a restaurant in Sydney last week. Twenty-four of them contracted COVID-19, none of whom were vaccinated. Six people didn't contract COVID-19, all of whom were vaccinated.

It says something about vaccinations, doesn't it.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
There's also a supply issue, right now Pfizer is in short supply (in Ontario at least if not Canada as a whole), so people getting their second dose are, apparently, more likely to receive Moderna even if they had Pfizer as the first shot.

Media in the U.S. are reporting that mixing vaccines has been show to be safe and effective.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline nikolai

• Mercury
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2021, 06:30:44 AM »

Media in the U.S. are reporting that mixing vaccines has been show to be safe and effective.

Where I am, I had to set up an appointment at some website when I became eligible.  There was a choice among many clinics, but they didn't specify which had Pfizer and which had Moderna.

However, one was supposed to set up both appointments at the same time, and for some clinics, the timing was three weeks apart (must be Pfizer) and for others, it was four weeks apart (so Moderna).

I signed up for Moderna, as it was available first.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2021, 07:41:04 AM »

My adult son got his 2nd this past Friday - turned out to be Moderna (his first was Pfizer). Interestingly, he's the only one of the three of us to get sick from it - chills, tiredness for a day or two, nothing major.

My sister is due for her 2nd today (Wednesday); given that Ontario (and I, believe Canada as a whole) now has restricted supplies of Pfizer, it's likely she'll get Moderna too. Different clinic location, though; we'll see.