Author Topic: Apollo toys  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Apollo toys
« on: October 02, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
Anyone know if anyone has ever made a CM or LM mockup in their home? I'm thinking procedures trainer, not a simulator. I'm just a big kid at heart and am seriously thinking of giving it a go.

Also related: are there any VR versions of the same? I mean where you can put on a VR helmet and actually feel like you are in the CM or LM?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Apollo toys
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
I am surprised.... I thought that someone here would have at least gave it some consideration!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
You'd think so, but the last thing I want to do after coming home from a hard day of building space ships is... build a space ship.

I will confess that I did put down a bid on eBay, many years ago, for one of the Block I Apollo boilerplate command modules.  The winning bid was $200,000, so I'm kind of glad that didn't happen.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »
You'd think so, but the last thing I want to do after coming home from a hard day of building space ships is... build a space ship.

I will confess that I did put down a bid on eBay, many years ago, for one of the Block I Apollo boilerplate command modules.  The winning bid was $200,000, so I'm kind of glad that didn't happen.

Woah! I'd spend money on my passion but not that much money. I did buy the replica A7L, though.

I can understand your position; I love aviation but since I deal with it all day, I am not that keen anymore to see airshows, etc.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
Anyone know if anyone has ever made a CM or LM mockup in their home?

I've seen some home made spacecraft mockups, like this one:

But that seems like more of a museum display, and not a trainer.

Also related: are there any VR versions of the same? I mean where you can put on a VR helmet and actually feel like you are in the CM or LM?

There was a VR simulation released for the Oculus Rift (and other systems) a few years ago, I believe. I never tried it, but it looked like more of a semi-interactive movie than an actual simulator.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1943333329057022/
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)