Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479222 times)

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
<HB mode on>
So NASA is simply a front set up by DoD to cover up all manner of shenanigans.
Why go to such trouble? you may ask.
Simple. Plausible deniability. If the DoD compartmentalises the whole thing, then no investigation of DoD budget spends will uncover the skulduggery. On the other hand, any investigation of NASA will find a happy mish mash of real and faked missions which appears plausible spending, especially given the sophistication of the fakery and the difficulty of proving it. For example, prove Curiousity really is on Mars right now. see? 2.6 billion in the bank simply by faking some telemetry and some images. In fact the failed Mars missions are even more fun. Billions "spent" and no need to even fake telemetry or images.
<HB mode off>
Which falls down right as soon as you look at the relative budgets for NASA and the DoD.  NASA's total budget is little more than pocket change for the DoD
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
The flaw in the argument is that the DoD has lost down the back of the couch more money than NASA has ever dreamt of.  If NASA is a front for money laundering, it's the most small time attempt at it.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
But according to the 2012 international rankings, the Institut ranks in the low 4,000s.  By comparison Carnegie-Mellon is ranked #22, Purdue is #20.  One of my alma maters U. of Michigan is ranked #8 (Go Blue!), and the university I taught at is ranked #79.

Excuse my ignorance, but who does these rankings and where would I find the listing?
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but who does these rankings and where would I find the listing?

Some international educational foundation.  I'll see if they're online.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2012, 03:38:35 AM »
Aw, dangit.  Doctor Socks is at Godlike Productions, all right.  And I wasted time playing along with one of his latest personae.  It wasn't until I ran into a different sock making the identical argument (with yet another set of nebulous yet important-sounding academic credentials) that the accompanying shoe finally dropped for me.  Now I just feel stupid.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
The 'Engineer'?
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
I am happy he has found a home among his peers.  I'd like to check up on the boy for old times sake, got a link to his thread?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
The 'Engineer'?

I admit to some doubt about him.  There's many of the usual traits, but the picture is not yet complete.  I'm expecting at any moment, though, to hear about the Wright Brothers, or a wife in Korea, or laps around the local track...

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
I just lurk at JREF, but I've become convinced that Her Grey Eminence is Little Grey Rabbit reborn. My evidence is the smug tone, purposeful obscurity, and spelling of the word "grey".

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
That's how I spell "grey."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
I always write "grey."  It's the proper colour of aluminium.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
My best friend's last name is Gray (it's an immigration thing; the original name was something different and got "Americanized" to Gray), but other than that, I just like the way it looks better.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
Totally going off on a tangent, I think that when The Unnameable One starts posting again I'm going to habitually refer to him as one of Hunchy's 'sheep'.  Being the Anointed Grandson Of The Moon Hoax Theory(TM), it should only be a matter of time until he blows up.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »
I always write "grey."  It's the proper colour of aluminium.

The reference to "grey" was a bit of a joke, but I think it's indicative that two posters use "grey" in their names, with a British spelling, and very much the same tone of voice.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
ZOMG, gillian is Dr. Socks!
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+