Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478787 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #930 on: February 20, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
Mate, with the stuff you do lining up Apollo photographs with reality, you are a genuine asset to this community.

Aww hush now - I just happen to be very good at pattern recognition.

I am at present locating all of the Apollo LEO mission photographs in Google Earth. I am particularly proud of locating these two today:

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/SearchPhotos/photo.pl?mission=AS07&roll=7&frame=1804 (not quite where it is recorded as being, and also finding that 1805 and 6 are in Brazil, not South Africa!)

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/SearchPhotos/photo.pl?mission=AS07&roll=5&frame=1620

:)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:31:17 PM by onebigmonkey »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #931 on: February 21, 2015, 03:33:04 AM »
Using parallax to measure the distance to stars is incredibly difficult and wasn't even proven possible until 1853. The measurements are tiny, a fraction of an arcsecond.
Not only are the parallax angles very small, but you have to account for proper motion.

α Centauri, for example, has a parallax of 747.1 mas and a proper motion of -3678.19 mas/yr in RA and +481.84 mas/yr in declination. You'd have to take years of data to separate the effects. And it's not even the star (system) with the highest proper motion, though it's the closest.

This page

http://www.rssd.esa.int/index.php?project=HIPPARCOS&page=high_p

shows quite clearly the combined effects of parallax and proper motion on the star with the highest proper motion, Barnard's Star (which is not visible to the naked eye).

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:37:02 AM by ka9q »

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #932 on: March 08, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
I see hunchbacked is at it again. Released a video this week claiming the whole NASA space program is fake.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #933 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
I see hunchbacked is at it again. Released a video this week claiming the whole NASA space program is fake.

Well, that all makes sense. NASA must, naturally, have the mind control devices fitted to Elon Musk and his employees at Space X. Not to mention the Russians, the French, the Canadians, the Spanish, the Japanese, the Italians, the Germans, the Swedish, the Brazilians, the Dutch, the Malaysians, the South Africans and the South Koreans, all of which have had their citizens in the ISS.
 ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #934 on: March 08, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
NASA must, naturally, have the mind control devices fitted to Elon Musk and his employees at Space X...
Not to mention the amateur astronomers that can get pictures like this:
http://www.astrophoto.fr/eclipse101221_lunar_transit.html
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #935 on: March 08, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
Not to mention the amateur astronomers that can get pictures like this:
http://www.astrophoto.fr/eclipse101221_lunar_transit.html

Anyone can take a picture and photoshop a few oblongs to make the ISS shape.  ::)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #936 on: April 12, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
Wow! Now he's done a video about the Germanwings A320 crash that has the Americans to blame for some laser test that supposedly happened around the same time. Claims the black boxes were modified by them. From what I've read, they were taken directly to Paris. Were any Americans even involved with the aftermath of the crash?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #937 on: April 12, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
Wow! Now he's done a video about the Germanwings A320 crash that has the Americans to blame for some laser test that supposedly happened around the same time. Claims the black boxes were modified by them. From what I've read, they were taken directly to Paris. Were any Americans even involved with the aftermath of the crash?

Stuff like this really grips my s***. Its one thing talking trash about a space program that happened 40+ years ago, but what sort of sick mind sees conspiracy in something that is so recent, so horrific and so unequivocal in it's cause? Do these sick bas%&** not have ANY compassion or empathy for the suffering of their fellow mankind?

I apologise for the strength of this post, but this sort of stuff makes my blood boil. It was the same after Sandy Hook and the Boston bomb. Morons trawling through pictures of horrible suffering and crying "Fake". Despicable, horrid, idiotic people.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #938 on: April 12, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
I get it now. Hunchbacked is nothing more than a racist. Just another one of those Blame America types who blames the US for all the ills in the world. I don't know why I never saw it before, but hunchie is displaying classic ethnocentrism, nothing more. It's actually kind of a letdown, really.

In my amateur opinion, of course...

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #939 on: April 12, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
I get it now. Hunchbacked is nothing more than a racist. Just another one of those Blame America types who blames the US for all the ills in the world. I don't know why I never saw it before, but hunchie is displaying classic ethnocentrism, nothing more. It's actually kind of a letdown, really.

In my amateur opinion, of course...

I reckon that you've hit the nail on the head there.

Isn't he French? If so, he has a LOT to thank the US and the rest of the Allies for.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #940 on: April 12, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »
It's a reaction to the chaotic and unpredictable world we live in. It is comforting for them to know that there are "somebody" who drives it all, who determines what happens next. That there is a master plan, and it is not just random chance or common individuals who set these things in motion.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #941 on: April 12, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
Stuff like this really grips my s***. Its one thing talking trash about a space program that happened 40+ years ago, but what sort of sick mind sees conspiracy in something that is so recent, so horrific and so unequivocal in it's cause? Do these sick bas%&** not have ANY compassion or empathy for the suffering of their fellow mankind?
Agreed.

A lot of individuals, mostly volunteers, all around the world are now receiving the ADS-B transmissions from airliners on 1090 MHz (the same frequency long used for secondary surveillance radar). This included several stations in France during the Germanwings crash. They went back to their logged data and found that the ground had been interrogating the autopilot altitude setting on the A320. They even caught it in the process of being changed. One sample had it at the assigned altitude. A little over a second later, it was at 13-thousand-something feet. Another second or so later, it was at 96 ft (the closest to 100' that can be represented in the digital format). They forwarded this data to the BEA (the French NTSB) and publicly to the world on a web forum.

This was a smoking gun, and I was no longer willing to give the copilot the benefit of the doubt. Only a paranoid lunatic would claim it's all some sort of enormous government conspiracy.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #942 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:38 AM »
Look, someone this week literally tried to convince me that someone I've known for more than twenty years doesn't actually exist, because if they admitted that he exists, and they admitted that his son really did get measles, it destroys their stupid anti-vaccine claims.  No sympathy at all, just conspiracism.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #943 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
Look, someone this week literally tried to convince me that someone I've known for more than twenty years doesn't actually exist, because if they admitted that he exists, and they admitted that his son really did get measles, it destroys their stupid anti-vaccine claims.  No sympathy at all, just conspiracism.

Hopefully she/he won't inflict the type of cruelty on their kids that this anti-vaxxer idiot did.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/anti-vaxx-mom-abandons-movement-after-all-seven-her-of-her-kids-get-whooping-cough/

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #944 on: April 13, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »

I apologise for the strength of this post, but this sort of stuff makes my blood boil. It was the same after Sandy Hook and the Boston bomb. Morons trawling through pictures of horrible suffering and crying "Fake". Despicable, horrid, idiotic people.

I don't think you should soften your comment.  The "Vic Sim" mentality seems to be the latest evolution of conspiracism, and it is truly despicable.  Now granted from a rhetoric point of view, it's hard to dispute those claims dispassionately.  And that plays right into conspiracy theorists' hands.  They formulate an argument that is practically guaranteed to bait an emotional response, which gives them the rhetorical upper hand:  "Look, we're scientifically analyzing these photos and the only criticism our opponents can mount is boo-hooing over made-up victims."

But in the larger analysis, conspiracism is about attracting attention to individual conspiracy theorists and ego-reinforcement.  The theories are proposed not to investigate the facts, but to say, "Everyone look at how clever I am!  I figured out something you all didn't."  It's a pastime; it's recreation.  When that happens at the expense of actual victims, it truly signals something wrong with the social conscience of these proponents.  They demonstrate little if any empathy.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams