Author Topic: Cuban missile crisis  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Cuban missile crisis
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
How close did we actually come to mutual assured destruction? I've been reading JFK's biography and watching 13 Days (historical inaccuracies understood), and was wondering if the Cuban crisis was the closest we got the brink, or did incidents between NATO and the Warsaw Pact troops in Berlin have us closer to the brink? Maybe our US friends could throw light on my question.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: Cuban missile crisis
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
How close did we actually come to mutual assured destruction? I've been reading JFK's biography and watching 13 Days (historical inaccuracies understood), and was wondering if the Cuban crisis was the closest we got the brink, or did incidents between NATO and the Warsaw Pact troops in Berlin have us closer to the brink? Maybe our US friends could throw light on my question.
I remember reading this a few years ago:

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/5-cold-war-close-calls

#4 happened on my 8th birthday.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
I remember reading this a few years ago:

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/5-cold-war-close-calls

IMO #4(The 1983 Nuclear False Alarm) was the closest followed by #5(The Able Archer 83 Exercise).  Number 5 just like the Cuban missile crisis was too slow moving giving cooler heads time to think the situation out and evaluate for alternative solutions.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »

Answered my question, the Cuban Missile Crisis was played out very slowly, but events like #4 could have happened much more quickly. I've heard anecdotal evidence that troop movements around Berlin could have been misinterpreted by either side and been the catalyst for nuclear war.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:01:04 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
I have a friend, retired Air Force officer, who was in the targeting department for ICBM's.  He told me in recent past, not specifying actual dates, that all the ICBM's were targeting US sites due to a programing error!
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Slightly tangental, but in the '61s we also dropped two live nukes on North Carolina, and in '62, Operation Northwoods was making the rounds. Although neither is comparable to the events of the CMC, either could have ushered us right into a MAD situation
Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime - Tom Paine

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Slightly tangental, but in the '61s we also dropped two live nukes on North Carolina, and in '62, Operation Northwoods was making the rounds. Although neither is comparable to the events of the CMC, either could have ushered us right into a MAD situation

Hardly a "drop" as the bombs left a disintegrating B-52.  But this would not have been interpreted as a threat to the US, nor would the former USSR have regarded such an accident as a preliminary to a full nuclear strike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
Eugene Cernan

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
True, and I paired it with Northwoods to suggest that if the climate of thought at the time was receptive to a false flag event, they may have called the new parking lot in the Carolinas an attack by America's enemies.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »
the new parking lot in the Carolinas
Parking lot? Try "bay".

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
the new parking lot in the Carolinas
Parking lot? Try "bay".

Well if it were destructive enough to create a bay, pretty sure it would create ample parking lots surrounding it.

At the bottom of the Wiki link cited by bknight, there is a link to Nukemap, an app that purports to calculate nuclear weapon damage. It claims that a 4 megaton surface detonation would create a fireball of 2.23km and an air blast radius of 7.39km @ 5psi. Theoretical ground zero looks to be, eh, 70 miles inland. Doesn't look nearly powerful enough to create a bay, in the sense of connecting with the ocean, so I'm thinking that Lt. Revelle ( as quoted about becoming a bay) may have been hyperbolic? Not sure how to calculate the physical blast damage and whether creating a bay would have been  a probable outcome

Yeah, quick check on Wiki shows a 20 MT detonation levels about 4 miles of urban areas, moderate damage to structures at 29 miles out. Staggering destruction but doesn't seem bay-creating from 70 miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:14:14 PM by revmic »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 05:06:21 AM »
John Oliver discusses the Goldsboro incident starting at 8:47.

The whole video is worth watching.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
There have been many accidental nuclear releases by the US and I suspect the former Soviet union.  These incidents may well have created "mass" contamination areas.  However all of these incidents, even detonation effects,  would not have brought the world to MAD, as Luke asked in the OP.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »
There have been many accidental nuclear releases by the US and I suspect the former Soviet union.
This one for starters...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayak
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man