Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

It really is rocket science

(1/14) > >>

Bob B.:

--- Quote from: Trebor on March 15, 2012, 03:57:09 PM ---I wonder what the Prof would make of the images of the Black Arrow launch.... (see attached)
And that was on earth as well.
--- End quote ---

The Black Arrow was fueled by kerosene and hydrogen peroxide, wasn't it?

JayUtah:

--- Quote from: Bob B. on March 15, 2012, 06:24:03 PM ---The Black Arrow was fueled by kerosene and hydrogen peroxide, wasn't it?
--- End quote ---

Yes, H202/RP-1

ka9q:
I wonder why the plume is transparent despite the use of kerosene fuel? Maybe the mixture ratio didn't have to be rich as in most rockets.

cjameshuff:

--- Quote from: ka9q on March 15, 2012, 06:48:36 PM ---I wonder why the plume is transparent despite the use of kerosene fuel? Maybe the mixture ratio didn't have to be rich as in most rockets.
--- End quote ---

Hydrogen peroxide decomposition produces two molecules of water for each molecule of O2, so the sooty highly incandescent particles would be a bit more diluted in the exhaust. Might also use a more oxidizer-rich mixture due to the fact that just decomposing peroxide contributes some to the thrust, while unburned fuel contributes nothing. Lower temperatures might also be a factor in allowing oxidizer-rich mixtures. Hard information would be nice...

ka9q:
I later read that the invisible exhaust is attributed to the large amount of water from the decomposition of H2O2. I can understand that but it was also my understanding that most rockets are run fuel-rich to avoid an oxidizing environment that could erode the combustion chamber and nozzle, and with RP-1 fuel that would leave some unreacted carbon to glow when it hits atmospheric O2.

I would think that the atomic oxygen released by the decomposition of H2O2 would be at least as corrosive as any oxidizer, but maybe not.

I've noticed in the video from Deltas, Falcons and other RP-1 burning rockets that as they rise in the atmosphere, their plumes broaden out and become less bright, but you can still see what look like random black streaks leaving the nozzle. I assume they're made of unburned carbon that no longer has a chance to burn and glow in atmospheric O2, but I'm not sure. If you look very closely at some of the Apollo 16mm landing films you will also see those little black streaks on occasion, which I would also attribute to unreacted carbon from the carbon-containing Aerozine-50 fuel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version