Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 831473 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #975 on: January 12, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
I know. I've seen the bloody thing. During STS 134 with Discovery (?) docked, it was really bright. The following night after undocking, it was a dimmer light with another bright light trailing it (or was it leading?).

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #976 on: January 12, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
If someone is wondering where Heiwa went after being banned and where he's getting his arguments explaining away the ISS...
http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59&start=1065#p2379753

Given some of the things posted in that thread, I think he fits perfectly there.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #977 on: January 12, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
If someone is wondering where Heiwa went after being banned and where he's getting his arguments explaining away the ISS...

Given some of the things posted in that thread, I think he fits perfectly there.

They missed off the word "no" in front of the title.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »
Someone should tell that one guy that the BABB isn't defunct, just merged.  I don't remember his specific thread, but if his banning happened the way he described it, I'll eat my hat.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
So the ISS is a fake as well?  ::) ::)

How the hell does he explain that bright thing that shoots across the sky then? And the thousands of amateur astronomers (myself included) that have seen it through our own telescopes? Or people like Thierry Legault who is an expert at imaging the ISS?
http://legault.perso.sfr.fr/iss_100424.html

Truly, some people are dumber than rocks.
or the images that have been taken during scheduled spacewalks where you can see the astronaut outside the ISS?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
or the images that have been taken during scheduled spacewalks where you can see the astronaut outside the ISS?
Cool! Do you have any links to images like that?

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »
Such images are usually so awesome as to render my life meaningless.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #982 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Cool! Do you have any links to images like that?
http://atramateria.com/spacewalking-astronaut-seen-from-the-ground/

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #983 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

Oh, reading that made my head hurt.

Plus I noticed Heiwa has been a member there for a few years. Well, I hope he's happy there.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #984 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

Oh, reading that made my head hurt.

Plus I noticed Heiwa has been a member there for a few years. Well, I hope he's happy there.

I'm sure he is.  He appears to have his own cheering section that is just as clueless as he is.  Reminds me of Jack White only not as competent.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #985 on: January 13, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
Reminds me of Jack White only not as competent.
I didn't know that competence could go negative. Oh well, learn something every day!

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #986 on: January 13, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
Reminds me of Jack White only not as competent.
I didn't know that competence could go negative. Oh well, learn something every day!

to be fair, they are both on the negative side.  When your incompetence encourages others to emulate you I'd say you're on the downward slide.

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #987 on: January 14, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

The way Apollo 11 was headed as it passed the Moon, the lunar gravity would have pulled it right round and sent it off on a heading back to Earth. This was the free return trajectory designed into the early missions as a safety factor. If the astronauts did nothing at this point they would still come home safely.

Hm, according NASA the Apollo 11 fired its rocket engine to get into permanent Moon orbit at 1500 m/s and at suitable altitude. I assume you agree that purpose of firing the rocket engine was to slow down? Pls advise.
It seems ~10 tons of fuel was used for this maneuver. Do you agree? Pls advise.

According you, had Apollo 11 not fired its rocket, it would still go into Moon orbit and, after half an orbit, Apollo 11 would escape Moon orbit again and return to Earth - free return trajectory. Are you certain? Pls advise.

Has any meteor arriving close to Earth ever got into Earth orbit and then ... WHOOPS - escaped again out of orbit - a free return? Small meteors burn up, big meteors crash. Pls explain about free meteor return!

In my opinion you could never escape from Moon gravity/orbit unless you applied a new force to your space ship, e.g. by using your rocket engine. Moon gravity may change your course, pull you into orbit or pull you so you crash. Probability for a 180° course change is 0.

In order to win my Challenge - see post #1 - I feel you have to understand these basic questions.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:40:57 AM by Heiwa »

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #988 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »

... the LES is needed only on the pad and during atmospheric flight when aerodynamic forces are extreme. Things can go to hell in a handbasket very, very quickly. So quickly that there may be no time for the commander to turn the celebrated abort handle. There's an automatic abort system called the Emergency Detection System (EDS).

Once they're out of the atmosphere, things become relatively laid back. Acceleration is much lower, and there's time to initiate an abort manually, if necessary, and it can be conducted with the existing propulsion systems in the CSM.

Well, before you can even use the SM rocket engine you have to do the famous 180° flip and connect the CM to the LM. But first you have to get away the LES on top of the CM.
How are you getting along with topic? My €1M Challenge! See link #1.

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #989 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
I note from Heiwa's website that he was born in 1946. I wonder what his thoughts were at the time the Apollo missions were happening.
Yes, it is correct that I was born 1946 and thus 23 years old when the Apollo 11 hoax took place. I had just graduated from Chalmers University of Technology with an M.Sc degree in naval architecture and marine engineering. Great stuff. To me it was obvious then that the Apollo 11 space ship was 100% unspaceworthy. And now 43 years later I have put a web page together about it. Better late than never.
How old are you?