Off Topic > General Discussion

What to do with an old computer

(1/4) > >>

Obviousman:
I recently upgraded my whole system, and now have an older PC surplus to requirements. I thought I might try to turn it into a VR station but it isn't up to specs (i3 CPU).

I then thought I might bring it into the lounge, hook it up to the big screen smart TV, and run it as a Flight Sim PC. Now I have to make some decisions and seek counsel.

I have MS Flight Sim 2002 discs but I believe that running on Windows 10 is problematic. I have Windows 7 and Windows XP discs, so could roll back the OS to suit what I have. Or should I stay Win 10, and get a later version sim? The latest version of MS Flight Sim has a usual problem: i5 CPU minimum.

So are there later versions of Flight Sim available that can run on Win 10 and be compatible with my system, or should I roll back the PC and go Flight Sim 2002? Or should I give up, throw the whole lot into the bin and go down the pub?

grmcdorman:
Another use is to install some variant of Linux and run it as a NAS (or media server, which is a specialized NAS). Before I switched to using COTS NAS hardware - Synology, specifically - I had a lower-spec desktop functioning as both a NAS and as the primary gateway for our internet. The latter is useful as it gives you more detailed control & better security, usually, than the consumer grade routers. (Currently, our gateway device - which is a consumer grade router - is running DD-WRT, an open-source router distribution based on Linux).

On home networks, NAS devices are useful both as media servers and as shared storage for the people at home. EDIT: Oh, and as a first-level backup device for your computers & portable devices; check Reslio Sync, among others, for that usage.

In so far as trying to run Windows on it, I can't say; I don't know enough about the requirements or your CPU.

I think there's also a flight simulator that runs on Linux, but it is quite different than Microsoft's Flight Sim, and probably much more for hardcore folks with a full HOTAS setup and the willingness to tinker with both S/W and hardware.

Obviousman:
Yeah, I have a basic joystick but that is it. That's why I thought it would be good for the lounge. If i wanted to start going hard core flight simming, I's buy one of those full cockpit cage setups.

Hmmm - could we rig a three axis motion setup.....? LOL!

Allan F:
What motherboard do you have in that PC? Getting a CPU upgrade doesn't have to be expensive. I assume it's not a laptop?

Bryanpoprobson:
I have a little stock of old gaming computers. I have an original Commodore 64, an Amiga 500, and
An old intellivision system with every game ever released for it.

My wife thinks I’m very sad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version