Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Saturn V Instrument Ring

(1/2) > >>

smartcooky:
For those who are familiar with Destin Sandlin's YouTube channel "Smarter Every Day", he has a second channel to which he posts longer, more in-depth and detailed videos.

In this video, Destin he teams up with Linus Sebastian from Linus Tech Tips to go to the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama for a visit with Luke Talley, one of the IBM computer engineers who worked on the Saturn V.

This is a really fascinating look into the functionality and detail of the Launch Vehicle Digital Computer and other parts of the instrument ring, with a guy who knows every little detail of how it all worked. Its a 45 minute video, but if you are at all interested in the nitty-gritty of electronics, computers and spaceflight (or at least as interested as I am) you will feel at the end that it wasn't long enough... and I've just added another place to my bucket list for my US visit when the current Covid-19 crisis is over.

Enjoy...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6mMK6iSZsAs

JayUtah:
Oh, yeah, I remember that video.  I agree, it's great.

smartcooky:
When I began my training in Avionics in 1973 (it was called Aircraft Electronics back then) it was less than six months after Apollo 17, so all that style of technology; discrete components, ULDs and monolithic RTL integrated circuits similar to those used in the Apollo Guidance Computer was all the stuff I cut my teeth on. When Luke Talley talked about two-second loops with interrupts and shorter loops running within them, I knew exactly what he was talking about. For our digital logic final exam, we were given a theoretical two/three  lane "X" intersection and had to design a digital controller to operate the traffic lights, complete with pedestrian crossings and green-arrow free turns. Interrupts and loops galore, and it was a lot more difficult that you might think.     

bknight:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on December 30, 2020, 06:13:03 PM ---When I began my training in Avionics in 1973 (it was called Aircraft Electronics back then) it was less than six months after Apollo 17, so all that style of technology; discrete components, ULDs and monolithic RTL integrated circuits similar to those used in the Apollo Guidance Computer was all the stuff I cut my teeth on. When Luke Talley talked about two-second loops with interrupts and shorter loops running within them, I knew exactly what he was talking about. For our digital logic final exam, we were given a theoretical two/three  lane "X" intersection and had to design a digital controller to operate the traffic lights, complete with pedestrian crossings and green-arrow free turns. Interrupts and loops galore, and it was a lot more difficult that you might think.  

--- End quote ---

Of course, if it were easy anyone could do it.  :)

Obviousman:
That video was outstanding! Even I could grasp some of it. Everyone should have a squizz at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version