Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Re: AI Interpolation of NASA footage (Smoothing/Increasing Fps)

(1/13) > >>

apollo16uvc:
All Apollo 13 16mm footage, interpolated and synchronized with audio:

molesworth:
Excellent, thank you!  Bookmarked to watch later  :)

apollo16uvc:
I am currently using decent quality sources from the Apollo Flight Journal.

I would rather use ultra-high quality MXF files as provided on archive.org, such as this one: https://archive.org/details/Apollo-15_Onboard-Film-Mags_EE.mxf

Those have a super high bitrate and look stunning, but there is one big problem: They are 59.94fps. This means there are duplicates because the source is either 1, 6, 12 or 24fps.

Duplicates cause a jerking/stuttering effect in the interpolation. I tried merely saving it as a 24fps file, this sometimes worked but duplicate frames still showed up.

I've tried messing around with reverse telecine and changing framerate on VirtualDub, which worked better, and sometimes got rid of duplicates for decent parts of a scene. But for some reason duplicates would start showing up again eventually, as if the pattern changed and VirtualDub couldn't account for it.

I tried exporting the video file to individual frames and then tried several programs to find duplicates and delete those, but that didn't work either.

So if anybody could find a reliable way to reverse-telecine the 59fps MXF files to 24fps without any duplicate frames that would help a lot. From there on I can just put the 24fps video file in my interpolation program and I can set the input framerate to where it was recorded at: 6 or 12fps.

TippedIceberg:

--- Quote from: apollo16uvc on April 12, 2020, 07:10:22 PM ---So if anybody could find a reliable way to reverse-telecine the 59fps MXF files to 24fps without any duplicate frames that would help a lot. From there on I can just put the 24fps video file in my interpolation program and I can set the input framerate to where it was recorded at: 6 or 12fps.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure how reliable this method is, but I did a test with ffmpeg on Windows, this seems to output only the unique frames as lossless png files:

--- Code: ---ffmpeg -i "Apollo-15_Onboard-Film-Mags_EE.mxf" -map 0:0 -vf mpdecimate,setpts=N/FRAME_RATE/TB "FrameOutput/frame_%05d.png"
--- End code ---
^ Requires a folder named FrameOutput in the same folder as your mxf. "FRAME_RATE" is auto, don't change that.

Found in this stackoverflow thread. There are also threshold options if mpdecimate skips or duplicates frames.

apollo16uvc:
That seems to work the best out of anything, actually! it doesnt even skip frames on the calibration chart at the start of each mag, which looks the same aside from the grain.

Very good.

I've made a workflow that takes the raw proress422 150mb/s mxf file, crops it, decimates it, and saves as PNGs:

ffmpeg -ss 240 -t 250 -i "D:\Apollo\16mm\AS16\Apollo-16_Onboard-Film-Mags_BBtoT.mxf" -map 0:0 -vf mpdecimate,setpts=N/FRAME_RATE/TB,crop=960:720:156:00 "FrameOutput/frame_%05d.png"

This runs at 39/40fps.

This is the the apollo 16 deep space eva.

THis is handy because I can import the png files directly into the interpolation program.

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version