Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479124 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »
You know, it seems to me that less and less of the HBs so-called "evidence" is becoming believable to them. Almost all of seem to be spiraling into a world view where everyone except them is either in fear of or being paid off by the government - either the elected one or the 'shadow' one. Hunchbacked is now spouting that the USA and USSR were in cahoots back in the 60s to fool... well, I'm not sure who that leaves.  I know CT thinking is an inherently paranoid mindset, but they're taking it to new depths.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
Hunchbacked is not the only one to assert that even the Cold War was a hoax, though it is certainly a logical progression in the reasoning of any Apollo denier. Much like a  Ponzi scheme, one must make increasingly ludicrous claims to keep the fiction going until it eventually collapses under its own weight.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
I guess you could call it the Johnny Cochran effect - when the evidence is overwhelming, claim it's all either faked or planted, while throwing enough crap in the air that nobody understands what anybody's talking about.

The followers are really sad, though. When a commenter on one of LunarTuner's YT vids stated that there were "thousands of pieces of solid evidence" proving the hoax, I asked for examples. Her reply:

I've been studying Apollo for about 10 years. Although I don't consider myself an expert per say, I do know the best places to find all the evidence collected in one place. WARNING: The evidence against Apollo is so deep, it can easily take you 100 hours just to skim over it. The good news is that the rules of science dictates it only takes one piece of solid evidence to disprove a theory. I recommend AULIS dot com. Youtuber and video maker, Jarrah White, is another excellent source.

AllisonsHunt

According to her profile she's 22. So she's been studying this stuff since she was 12?

<facepalm>

:o "excellent source?"
 8) Oi just dew wot Oi can, cobber.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »
Side rant--why doesn't anyone use "per se" correctly anymore?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Side rant--why doesn't anyone use "per se" correctly anymore?

I had been meaning to comment that incorrect use of "clever sounding" phrases was an HB signature.

("A HB" or "an HB"?)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
Grammar aside, the exchange went from sad to scary:

It is no more necessary to "prove" the moon landings than to prove other historical events, like the Vietnam war, World War II, Lindbergh's flight, or Hurricane Camille. The burden of proof is on anyone who claims that a hoax took place. If you've been convinced since you were 12 tears old hat the landings were faked, your mind is probably hopelessly poisoned, but the fact is that not one of JW's claims stands up to the light of day.

Noldi400 in reply to AllisonsHunt 1 day ago
======================================

Your argument sounds suspiciously familiar with a strong bouquet of... sniff, sniff, sniff...  Jew.

AllisonsHunt in reply to Noldi400 1 day ago

Huh? I'm not Jewish, as it happens, but WTF does that have to do with anything? That's the most patently offensive thing I've ever seen on YT - and that's saying a lot. I'm done here.

Noldi400 in reply to AllisonsHunt 9 hours ago

If the Jew fits, wear it.

AllisonsHunt in reply to Noldi400 8 hours ago

Wow. I..... wow.  I think grammar is the least of her problems.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »
I'm not Jewish either, but I've been taken aback by the intense (and as you saw, indiscriminate) antisemitism of more than one Apollo denier. I thought that sort of thing went completely out of style almost 70 years ago. The really funny thing is that I see this from some of the same people who scream about the US hiring ex-Nazis to work on its rockets.

Do they know any real history at all?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
That's insane.  I'm rather reminded of Charlie Chaplin, who refused, after The Great Dictator, to say whether he was Jewish or not.  He said that confirming it would only confirm the prejudice, and denying it would instead confirm that there was something wrong with being Jewish. 

And I would say it's "an HB."  It's a pronunciation thing.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
Insanity was what crossed my mind... Does she assume everyone who doesn't share her views is Jewish?   The conversation actually started when I kinda scoffed at the idea that YouTube shapes public opinion. 

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:51 AM »
Yikes. Maybe she should have tea with the president of Iran.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Would you still like to have your say, if you were charged ten dollars per say?  ;D
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
Would you still like to have your say, if you were charged ten dollars per say?  ;D

I don't think that's such a bad thing (in proportion). If email cost more to send, we'd all get less spam.

I'd pay $0.01 (or maybe even $0.05) per post to any of the forums I belong to.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
$0.02 would be an appropriate amount ;D
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
$0.02 would be an appropriate amount ;D
Thread won.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

I don't think that's such a bad thing (in proportion). If email cost more to send, we'd all get less spam.

I'd pay $0.01 (or maybe even $0.05) per post to any of the forums I belong to.

Hmmm... I think you're onto something here. ;)
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)