Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479045 times)

Offline darren r

• Earth
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #615 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
If rockets don't work in a vacuum (and, by extension, no form of propulsion works without gravity and an atmosphere to push against, which is what they are claiming), doesn't that mean artificial satellites must be a fiction? After all, they not only need rockets to put them into space, but also smaller 'rockets' to make attitude and altitude adjustments. So satellite 'phones, TV, communications and GPS are a hoax as well?

My God, where does it end?
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #616 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
My God, where does it end?

With everyone agreeing that NASA lies about everything.  Even if NASA were to say it was lying. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Valis

• Venus
« Reply #617 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:31 AM »
Poor Heiwa, just when he thought he'd found a home full of special new friends who liked him, he's immersed in more trouble.

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1632&start=345
Pretty crazy, but I'm actually enjoying Heiwa's snippy comments in that thread. I too hope that Heiwa actually learns something from his experience there.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #618 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »
Well well, now doesn't almo's answer on this page look familiar?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130619104241AAEOFfX
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #619 on: June 21, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
To quote Penny from The Big Bang "Holy crap on a cracker"

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1632&start=345#p2385792

"If you shoot water horizontally, you will notice it forms and arc.
This is the key to the fight back by the air, because the top of that water arc is the strongest force against the air, meaning the air has to push on it much harder to try and squeeze it to the ground because that water at the very top is moving horizontally and the water going either way from it is gradually falling, so the air compresses it from all around the water jet and tries to equalise it's own pressure... but in doing so, it forces the water both ways, because, as we know...water cannot be compressed but it can be forced away by exerting pressure, meaning one force hits the building or hits a crowd of rioters and the other force pushes the fireman back."

Reading that thread is like how I imagine Victorian era asylums. The complete irony of these people being linked together on the Internet ( a network of computers, all of which were designed by smart people that have a deep understanding of the laws of science) will be lost on them..
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #620 on: June 22, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
You know, I am wondering if there should be a critical thinking skills class as part of regular grade school curriculum. It doesn't have to be a science course per sae, it doesn't need to go into over much technical detail, just give the foundations of good thinking skills and how to avoid traps and double-talk.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #621 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
You know, I am wondering if there should be a critical thinking skills class as part of regular grade school curriculum. It doesn't have to be a science course per sae, it doesn't need to go into over much technical detail, just give the foundations of good thinking skills and how to avoid traps and double-talk.
Sadly, that can be perverted as well.  There's a YT subscriber who goes by MrReamCHS who is a high school teacher in Indiana (there's a link to his classroom website on his channel) who teaches what he thinks of as critical-thinking skills by..., well, in his own words,

"I show the the evidence the USG has presented as well as primary source evidence as to why there are questions regarding the validity of the official lunar landings. Your opinion of the validity is an example of the argument fallacy refered to below. Students then use their own critical thinking skills, including their knowledge of logical fallacies, to arrive at their own conclusion. Don't worry, though, you "know" what the answer to the official test question is...."

I think there's a reason why he teaches Social Studies rather than Physics or Calculus.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #622 on: June 22, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
Are you kidding?  The best teacher I ever had was also, at the time, head of the Social Studies department, and she would have wiped the floor with this guy.  He shouldn't be a teacher, full stop.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #623 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
Are you kidding?  The best teacher I ever had was also, at the time, head of the Social Studies department, and she would have wiped the floor with this guy.  He shouldn't be a teacher, full stop.

I totally agree.  From other statements he made to me, he seems to equate 'critical thinking' with 'automatic suspicion'.  He also seems to be a chronic quote-miner;  he pulled out the example of NASA personnel's recent comments about the need for increased radiation protection, while in the best hoaxer tradition totally ignoring the fact that these comments are in the context of long-duration missions.

Just another CT who fancies himself an intellectual.  My concern is the poison he's introducing to still-forming young minds.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #624 on: June 23, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
For what it's worth, most kids actually are capable, at least in my experience, in seeing when a teacher is full of crap.  A lot of my classmates liked my high school psychology teacher (I did not!), but they still knew that he wasn't qualified to teach us.  Not least because the book would talk about the damage you can do when you call someone stupid, and he'd turn around and call various of my classmates stupid.  Never me, though; he just called me psychotic.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #625 on: June 24, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
I do hope you're right.

It's been a while since we've had a humorous look at the subject; here's a segment from the Brit comedy show "Quite Interesting" on Moon Landing Conspiracies:

They get various facts wrong, but, hey, it's comedy.  You have to love the MJ assassination connection.

That's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmNz2-IS7gY for those without embedding capability.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #626 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
For those who haven't given up completely on Cosmoquest, the perennial link-spammer RockyC (a.k.a. FattyDash etc.) has shown up under one of his habitual nicks Cosmored.  It's the same performance -- he's essentially a proxy for Jarrah White, only with the infuriating aspect of literally disregarding anything coming from someone who doesn't take one of his infamous loyalty litmus tests.  Basically if you don't already believe in the conspiracies and hoaxes he touts, then automatically you're not honest enough to be listened to.  In his case I think he really does believe that he is obviously and inarguably right.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #627 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »
I thought FattyDash was Dr Tekeli?!
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #628 on: August 09, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
No, FattyDash is the name Cosmored/RockyC goes by on JREF.  That was never Tekeli.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #629 on: August 09, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
I can't keep track of the identities of everyone.

But, the "fattydash" on the proboards incarnation of the ApolloHoax.net forum wasn't the link-spammer, was he? e.g. http://apollohoax.proboards.com/post/91370