Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 55363 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2020, 03:55:28 PM »
And don’t forget, as you get higher the pressure decreases tapering off gradually to a virtual vacuum. If the Earth were a pressure vessel and gravity didn’t exist (as hoax proponents believe) pressure in that vessel would be constant.
When hoax believers think a vacuum is a force, I believe it is a central misunderstanding that enhances their belief.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2020, 05:26:41 AM »
Maybe not, but it's very human.

But not to all humans though. I don't consider myself a scientist at all but i tend to believe in things when i see them. For example i don't believe in ghosts because i haven't seen one. On the other hand you may say how did you know the moon landings took place you wern't there. However, the evidence that we did is so strong all doubt is removed.

When i say its a psychological thing i mean those people already have a certain mindset, such as distrust for example, and that mindset leads them to believe in other things. Its amazing how many people who believe in 1 conspiracy theory also believe in more.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »

But not to all humans though. I don't consider myself a scientist at all but i tend to believe in things when i see them. For example i don't believe in ghosts because i haven't seen one. On the other hand you may say how did you know the moon landings took place you wern't there. However, the evidence that we did is so strong all doubt is removed.

Ever seen a virus? Ever had a cold?
Personally, I have never seen Australia. Yet I don't need to see it to be pretty sure that the country as described, exists.

When i say its a psychological thing i mean those people already have a certain mindset, such as distrust for example, and that mindset leads them to believe in other things. Its amazing how many people who believe in 1 conspiracy theory also believe in more.
Its called crank magnetism.  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Crank_magnetism
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:38 PM »
And don’t forget, as you get higher the pressure decreases tapering off gradually to a virtual vacuum. If the Earth were a pressure vessel and gravity didn’t exist (as hoax proponents believe) pressure in that vessel would be constant.
When hoax believers think a vacuum is a force, I believe it is a central misunderstanding that enhances their belief.

I vaguely remember doing an experiment in physics class at school, where we used a glass tube about a 1 metre long and about 3½ cm in diameter (capacity was about 1 litre). One end was bunged, the other end was bunged with a very thin tube passing through.

First we weighed the tube, then then teacher put the tube onto a pump system and sucked the pressure down to a near vacuum through the pipe in the end. He sealed off the pipe and we weighed it again... the weight dropped by, IIRC, about a gramme. Then he carefully released the seal and we could hear the air hissing as it got sucked into the vacuum. It took a second or two for the scales to stabilise, and we were able to watch as the tube gained weight back to its original weight over the course of a few more seconds.

Our conclusion was, of course, that air has mass!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
Ever seen a virus?

Not to hijack the thread because I know what point you're trying to make, but I do love it when people ask this question because, thanks to my quaification and career, I can say: "yes, yes I have. Why?"  ;D
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Can anybody show me a gas pressure next to a vacuum without a barrier?

The question would be what is the point? Can you show a sharp delineation between vacuum and gas pressure? No. On a laboratory scale you can't show the steady decrease in pressure over a given space between a gas pressure and a vacuum because the thermodynamic properties of the gas molecules over that scale cause rapid equalisation of pressure within the confines of the vessel or laboratory. But on a planetary scale on a column of gas miles high, that's exactly what is seen.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
Can anybody show me a gas pressure next to a vacuum without a barrier?

Depends on how you define gas pressure and vacuum.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2020, 08:48:27 PM »
Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies at the age of 64 after launching himself into on homemade rocket

Well, that ended exactly how I expected it to...

Anyone that encouraged him to launch that rocket has blood on their hands, including The Discovery Channel apparently.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:21:35 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2020, 10:59:10 PM »
Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies at the age of 64 after launching himself into on homemade rocket

Anyone that encouraged him to launch that rocket has blood on their hands, including The Discovery Channel apparently.

Close the entries: This has to win the Darwin award for 2020, hands down.

Charges should be laid against whoever the idiots were that encouraged this idiot to commit involuntary suicide.

[offtopic]
Question (not related to this fatal act of sheer madness)

Is this website some kind of weird translation, or are the correspondent/writer/editorial staff all just illiterate?

It begins with the headline

"Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies at the age of 64 after launching himself into on homemade rocket"

Into what?

"Hughes collision landed on Saturday near Barstow,California"

collision landed?

"Footage of the case programs Hughes driving himself into the air on the steam-poweredrocket"

This makes no grammatical sense. Could this be a bad translation  where "case" should be "incident"(as in Police incident) and "programs" should be "shows" (as in TV shows), thus - "Footage of the incident shows Hughes driving himself into the air on the steam-poweredrocket"?

It just gets worse from there...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:12:17 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »
Charges should be laid against whoever the idiots were that encouraged this idiot to commit involuntary suicide.

I guess it is legal to perform stupid stunts like that, but people who encouraged it should be ashamed. The idiotic flat Earth theory has cost someone their life for no reason.

Is this website some kind of weird translation, or are the correspondent/writer.editorial staff all just illiterate?

To be honest, I didn't read it that closely. I originally linked to another article but decided to remove it because they included video of the crash which I thought was in poor taste. This article was the only other one I could find at the time.

"Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies at the age of 64 after launching himself into on homemade rocket"

Into what?

I was thinking maybe it originally said "into space" and then the writer realized that it never got close to space... sloppy editing regardless.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2020, 12:29:15 AM »

Close the entries: This has to win the Darwin award for 2020, hands down.

[offtopic]
Question (not related to this fatal act of sheer madness)

Is this website some kind of weird translation, or are the correspondent/writer/editorial staff all just illiterate?

Into what?

"Hughes collision landed on Saturday near Barstow,California"

collision landed?

"Footage of the case programs Hughes driving himself into the air on the steam-poweredrocket"

This makes no grammatical sense. Could this be a bad translation  where "case" should be "incident"(as in Police incident) and "programs" should be "shows" (as in TV shows), thus - "Footage of the incident shows Hughes driving himself into the air on the steam-poweredrocket"?

It just gets worse from there...

It appears to have been pulled through google translate forwards and backwards to avoid copyright claims. The source text linked in the article is much better structured - but identical.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2020, 05:44:37 AM »
Will his death lead to conspiracy theories that he was silenced?

It seems like it might have been better for him to succeed and see for himself. It would have been the most satisfactory smashing of a person's dogma since Mike Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit was forced to confront the reality that non-linearity is not the alpha and omega of a good Zelda dungeon.

On the other hand, cognitive dissonance may have led to him interpreting what he saw as a flat disc and so he would have more 'credibility' to spout his nonsense. A family friend was once very insistent that when her flight went into a hold, it stopped dead in the air despite attempts by others to explain what was really going on.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
Space.com article, somewhat better written.

All I can say is The Science Channel better have a stack of waivers on file clearing them of any and all liability.  They still plan on airing the series.  Ghouls.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »

It seems like it might have been better for him to succeed and see for himself. It would have been the most satisfactory smashing of a person's dogma since Mike Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit was forced to confront the reality that non-linearity is not the alpha and omega of a good Zelda dungeon.

On the other hand, cognitive dissonance may have led to him interpreting what he saw as a flat disc and so he would have more 'credibility' to spout his nonsense. A family friend was once very insistent that when her flight went into a hold, it stopped dead in the air despite attempts by others to explain what was really going on.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
IT is posible that CTs Will form a silly death scenario all I can  say is the world is short one con artist.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »

There's an obvious counter-claim: he was silenced by Big Flerf to stop him threatening their clickbait revenue.

I'll give him this: he was prepared to put his money where his mouth was. Most of the idiots climbing on to this bandwagon are too lazy to read a meme with more than 5 words.