Author Topic: International Skeptics Forum domain expired  (Read 9515 times)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
International Skeptics Forum domain expired
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
It looks like IceRat forgot to pay the bills! :( Edit- Actually, following the "rescue your domain" link takes you to the TribeTech control panel; as IceRat owns TribeTech it would appear he forgot to pay himself! ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:32:49 PM by BazBear »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: International Skeptics Forum domain expired
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:20:38 AM »
OK, I'll bite who is IceRat? I'm not a member or even a lurker.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
OK, I'll bite who is IceRat? I'm not a member or even a lurker.
I don't know his real name. He was a long time member of the James Randi Education Forum (the old name for the ISF) who also owns an internet/software company (TribeTech). When the Randi Foundation decided they didn't want the forum anymore, he volunteered to take it over and host it under the new moniker. In any case, he admitted he screwed up and it's all fixed now.

Edit to add - After looking at the TribeTech site, I see his name is David Steadson.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:00:48 PM by BazBear »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:39:59 AM »
I visited the site , and find a long thread concerning a certain hoax.  Jay and fatfredy88/cosmored/etc.etc. in a heated battle
Jay: I have a couple of questions
1. How long have you been at the debunking game?
2. Approximately how many hours have you spent penning your excellent posts?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline 12oh2alarm

• Venus
  • This dude likes Don Martin cartoons.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
I visited the site , and find a long thread concerning a certain hoax.  Jay and fatfredy88/cosmored/etc.etc. in a heated battle.

Got a link so I can educate myself?

Offline BazBear

• Mars

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 06:33:54 AM »
Jay: I have a couple of questions
1. How long have you been at the debunking game?
2. Approximately how many hours have you spent penning your excellent posts?

Jay is no doubt the best person to answer but he sometimes gets a bit modest about it, so here is a bit of a hint.

1. Since at least 2001 and probably some years earlier.
2. Possibly thousands.  He said once that some of his fellow-employees had been long collecting some of his better efforts on all subjects.  I think that all of them might take up as much room as the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

I have a file of my own in Documents/Bulletin Boards called JayUtah Posts. It's 43 pages of Ariel 10-point and starts on 27 July 2002 when he was already a senior member Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board, later BAUT. Some of Jay's posts from the BABB might still be on the CosmoQuest archive.

I'm the guy from Down Under in the following post. After joining the internet and lurking at forums I was rather intrigued to find that no-one had solved the "Coke bottle" in the Apollo 11 EVA footage. So I studied for a few weeks to see who I thought should hear about the time I literally leaped out of my seat and explained, "There's Una Ronald's Coke bottle!" The rest is history. Jay proved, with his usual thoroughness and knowledge, that it was a lens flare, as he shows on Clavius.
http://www.clavius.org/cokebottle.html

Coke Bottle
Post # 6
27-July-2002, 02:37 AM
http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/1786-coke-bottle.html#post24016
JayUtah

...As for the Coke bottle, Clavius got some e-mail from a guy Down Under who says he thinks he knows where the Coke bottle rumor got started; there's supposedly a "smear" on the video at one place that kind of looks like a Coke bottle. I haven't found it yet myself, but I'll keep looking. He also reminds us that, contrary to Dave Cosnette's article, Dark Moon claims there were letters (not articles) in the Western Australian about this. Still, if Mr. Cosnette's statements about Ms. Bennett are to be believed, she didn't verify either form of publication with the paper before writing her book.

Excerpt from the attachment to an email to JayUtah on Thursday 25 July 2002 10:32am, when I was too new to the details of Apollo to know terms like "mobility experiment":

Final point — Una's Coke bottle.
While watching one of my videos last year, I exclaimed to myself, "There's Una Ronald's Coke bottle!"  Seen it yourself?  I think it's the little white flare which snakes across the lower right of the screen as Aldrin comes up to the TV camera.  It's when he's trying out the foot-to-foot run, rather than the kangaroo hop, at about 110:23:42.  It's probably a result of the sun reflecting off Buzz's helmet, but  it doesn't look much like a 1969 glass Coke bottle.  It does look a little like it's rolling over the rough surface, but doesn't slow down like a real bottle would.

Some gems take up only one sentence. The links probably died nearly a decade ago:

Radiation for turbonium
http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=theories&action=display&thread=1144878798&page=9#1148307763
23 May 2006 2:22am (Part)
You paint a totally wrong picture of space as a wholly unknown entity full of the physical equivalent of krakens and sea serpents, the existence and nature of which cannot be known except by throwing monkeys to them. Pure handwaving.

The moon big generator of gamma rays is it a hoax
http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=theories&action=display&thread=1131739446&page=18#1149698486
8 June 2006 4:41am
The most important mental attribute anyone can have is the ability to recognize when one's own comprehension of a topic is insufficient. Without that, one's knowledge simply becomes tautological: it is "impossible" for there to exist wisdom one does not already possess.

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=263215#post263215
Baut Forum
12 August 2004, 7:12pm
Most conspiracy theories are unsubstantiated speculation, and the value runs $30-40 a copy, depending on shipping.

http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=theories&action=display&thread=1169203802&page=7#1169770803
ApolloHoax
26 January 2007, 11:20am
Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed.

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=981349#post981349
Baut Forum
5 May 2007, 2:07pm
I see no evidence that NASA anticipated the level of irrational obstinacy that would arise over their activity.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:16:54 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
My eyesight may not be as good as others, but I never saw a coke bottle, just some artifacts in the lower left of the frame as Aldrin was doing his movement experimentation.
No doubt that Una was "coached" in her response in Sibral's(?) mocumentary.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 01:22:15 AM »
"Una" never existed. Just look at the time of day "(s)he" claimed to see the transmission. It was not that time of day when the transmission was aired.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
The time comment is right on, but I'm not sure she never existed nor that she saw "something"
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »
The time comment is right on, but I'm not sure she never existed nor that she saw "something"

I heard the "coke bottle" story on Australian radio in either 1978 or 1979. Probably 1979 (10th anniversary). "Una" wasn't mentioned, AFAIR.

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
Thread necromancy alert...

Looks like it's happened again.  Two years to the day, roughly.  Is there any contact info?

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Ope.  It's back, carry on.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 09:48:50 PM »
Annnnd it's down again.

Fred

ETA:  And it's back if you refresh the pages.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:03:40 PM by Nowhere Man »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 03:19:24 AM »
Zounds, it dost be up and down faster and more oft than a painted punk's skirts!