Author Topic: Forever Young  (Read 5317 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Forever Young
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
I was really looking forward to John Young's memoirs but pretty well all the reviews point out some serious errors that should never have been missed. The LM having three landing legs??? Apollo 10's LM not having any landing gear at all??? Sounds like there's still some great material to be enjoyed but I'm very surprised at the poor proof reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Young-Life-Adventure-Space/dp/0813042097/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349379792&sr=1-1&keywords=john+young+forever+young

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Forever Young
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
It was LM 1 which flew on the unmanned Apollo 5 that didn't have landing gear.    It makes me thing that co-author James R. Hansen did most of the work.  But where were the editors?  That is a simple fact check.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Here is another one on the top of page 128.  He discusses his extracting the LM out of the S-IVB.   Then goes on to say,"we were then ready to do the module checks, get ourselves away from the S-IVB and send it packing, and prepare for a timely TLI."  The TLI burn was performed by the S-IVB before extracting the module. 

With simple errors like these, the book just can't be taken seriously.  I wonder what the CTers will do with it. 

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
Co-author Hansen also wrote First Man, the well respected and very good biography of Neil Armstrong and has written a number of other books about space and science.  I wonder just what went wrong here.  I would like to read his monograph on John Houbolt and the development of lunar orbit rendezvous. 

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Co-author Hansen also wrote First Man, the well respected and very good biography of Neil Armstrong and has written a number of other books about space and science.  I wonder just what went wrong here.  I would like to read his monograph on John Houbolt and the development of lunar orbit rendezvous.

Yes, I finished "First Man" a few months ago so naturally assumed another fine memoir would be the result here. I'll end up getting it anyway but too bad they didn't take the time to proof read it better and at least eliminate the most glaring errors.

Not sure if CTer's will even bother reading something like this. I've mentioned to a few about trying out some of the memoirs and always get the "I have no interest in fiction" retort.