Author Topic: Atheists can't hold public office, can't testify?  (Read 19562 times)

Offline DataCable

• Earth
Re: Atheists can't hold public office, can't testify?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
But Houston is a rarity on both counts in the very conservative Texas.
Austin is also regarded as an island of blue in a vast ocean of red.

WARNING: THIS MIGHT OFFEND SOME PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY NRA MEMBERS
It certainly offended Trey Parker
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
But Houston is a rarity on both counts in the very conservative Texas.
Austin is also regarded as an island of blue in a vast ocean of red.

Certainly true.  Houston is a very tolerant city where people mostly just go about their own business while Austin is a left wing city that goes about everyone elses business. In both places the burbs are notably more conservative than the city.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
I had a YouTube debate with someone who was adamant that the US Constitution was based entirely on the 10 Commandments.
I haven't heard that one, but I have certainly heard people claim that the Founding Fathers were all devout Christians and intended the US to be a "Christian country". That one has become very pernicious.

In 1984, the government rewrote history. In reality, many ordinary people rewrite history for their own purposes.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
I haven't heard that one, but I have certainly heard people claim that the Founding Fathers were all devout Christians and intended the US to be a "Christian country". That one has become very pernicious.

Yeah, I like asking people who cite that one about Thomas Jefferson's edition of the gospels.  Which left out "the obvious exaggerations by Jesus' biographers."  Including, you know, the Resurrection.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »

In 1984, the government rewrote history. In reality, many ordinary people rewrite history for their own purposes.

And do so while conveniently ignoring all the discussion and writings that explicitly separate church from state.  The lack of historical knowledge and respect for what makes America the country it is irritating, but even more so from people that claim to be traditional. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett