Author Topic: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists  (Read 270539 times)

Offline Laurel

• Earth
Re: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
I debunk because hoax believers make really blatant errors in their claims and it just bugs me. Is it so hard to do basic research?
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Believer

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:05 PM »
It isn't NASA's job.  They provide all the relevant technical information if you could be bothered to read it.  Do you honestly think US tax money should be spent on debunking woo woo?
Just to add something here, NASA was planning to commission a book about the Moon hoax claims once, and there was a public outcry about spending tax money on it, so they abandoned the idea.

I think the problem was that the author was sincere, and would interview independent scientists....

That would get him some serious doubts, and they realised they made a mistake. Then these people knew why NASA kept the lid on it all for so many years.

Offline Believer

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
I debunk because hoax believers make really blatant errors in their claims and it just bugs me. Is it so hard to do basic research?

Obviously it is! Do some research why space travel does not exist and you will get some doubts about why it in the sixties did exist.

Offline Believer

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I debunk because I believe in the importance of education.  I debunk because I think it is shameful that some take the accomplishments of brave and intelligent people and claim they never happened without even taking the time to understand what they're talking about.  I debunk because I believe that history matters.  I debunk because if we don't, why would anyone be willing to pay for a space program?  I debunk because, in my faith, fighting ignorance is a holy cause and lying about the past is a sin. 

I do not call all hoax believers liars.  Some are ignorant.  Some are misguided.  Some are more interested in an ideology than in the facts.  Some, sadly, are mentally ill.  The important similarity they share is that they are all wrong.

OK, I see the use of it and respect that.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

So are you willing to participate in the holy cause of fighting your own ignorance?  Because you've shown quite a lot of it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »

Obviously it is! Do some research why space travel does not exist and you will get some doubts about why it in the sixties did exist.

Hello, Heiwa.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »
I think the problem was that the author was sincere, and would interview independent scientists....

One thing about forums like this is that it gives you the ability to contact a lot of people. I've spoken to the author via discussion boards like this. He has spoken to independent scientists anyway. He still does. He had already done quite a bit of that when he proposed to NASA publishing the book.

In all that time he has never had any doubts.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
And does the umbrella phrase 'independent scientists' include the hundreds or thousands of geologists worldwide over the last few decades who have studied the Apollo samples and published papers about them?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »

I will be happy to react to your post if you react on whay I say, you induce several issues, and then react to them. So please simplify your points

That was a very cowardly dodge to my points....or do you find them too difficult to understand?

Ok I will simplify it with one question. How did NASA ensure that 400,000 people (or a fraction thereof) have never ever uttered a word of 'the truth' if they 'knew it was a hoax'? what actual means or mechanisms has NASA used to do this?

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »

Do you really honestly 100% believe that?

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
I also consider sockpuppetry as a form of lying.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Oh, it quite obviously is.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

The existence of the sixties is well supported by historical records and eyewitness accounts.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Believer

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »

So are you willing to participate in the holy cause of fighting your own ignorance?  Because you've shown quite a lot of it.

....tired.....you want to pick a fight....I refuse....

Offline Believer

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »

Do you really honestly 100% believe that?

Yes, there is no one who claims he travels in space.