Author Topic: Apollo 50th Anniversary  (Read 3911 times)

Offline BDL

• Venus
Apollo 50th Anniversary
« on: July 20, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
Happy 50th Anniversary everyone, especially to NASA and all those who worked on the Apollo project. I’m going to celebrate by watching Apollo documentaries with my family and buying a new telescope for tonight.
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: Apollo 50th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
Happy anniversary!

I'm going to watch a replay of CBS' coverage of the landing, timed as closely as possible to the real time.

And then I'll probably watch the recent Apollo 11 documentary (from CNN Films).

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
We had a little bit of a party at work last night, including playing lunar landing simulations on the big TV  ;D  Plus a spot on the TV evening news tying the landing to the Scottish Space industry (any excuse ;) )

Tonight it's beer, pizza and watching the landing in real time courtesy of UK C4.  Hope you're all planning something appropriate.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »
If you start this at 4:02pm ET (8:02pm UT) it will be roughly in sync with the actual landing.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:19:57 PM by LunarOrbit »

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »
Or view it live, here:

Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »
Yes, that's the better option. I have already switch to it.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »
A bit late but I didn't realize they released the blue-ray edition of "From the Earth to the Moon". Lent my regular set out and never got it back so looking forward to viewing the whole mini-series over the next few days. 

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:29:01 AM »
A bit late but I didn't realize they released the blue-ray edition of "From the Earth to the Moon". Lent my regular set out and never got it back so looking forward to viewing the whole mini-series over the next few days. 

I wouldn't get it; seems it is getting very poor reviews:

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07QH82N1Z

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »

Rats! It's already on the way. I guess in this day and age, I should check everything out before buying but it never occurred to me that they could screw up on the original. Last time I tried to send something back to Amazon, they just refunded the money and told me to keep the product so I guess I'll try that.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »

Rats! It's already on the way. I guess in this day and age, I should check everything out before buying but it never occurred to me that they could screw up on the original. Last time I tried to send something back to Amazon, they just refunded the money and told me to keep the product so I guess I'll try that.

I was going to do the same thing and actually had it in the basket but then I noticed it was Blu-Ray region A/1 which is no good to an Aussie.... and none of my Blu-Ray players are 'region-free'. I then started looking through the reviews...

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »
I bought the digital streaming version from Google Play. While I admit the special effects haven't aged well, it's still the same great mini-series.

If you no longer have your DVDs and want to watch it again then I'd say go with the blu-ray set and don't worry about the quality of the effects.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »
I bought the digital streaming version from Google Play. While I admit the special effects haven't aged well, it's still the same great mini-series.

If you no longer have your DVDs and want to watch it again then I'd say go with the blu-ray set and don't worry about the quality of the effects.

It arrived about an hour after I posted. Just watched the first episode. Yes, I'll just keep it. Special effects are good enough for me and at last I have a great mini-series back in my collection. Just have to be more careful when I lend stuff out from now on.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
Binge watched the next 3 episodes. I don't know how many times I've watched the Apollo 1 episode but I seem to get as chocked up each time as if it was my first viewing of it. The Apollo 7 launch scene is great imho. Yes, some of it is obvious CGI but I think the rest turned out very well and is clearly a Saturn 1B. Wish I could compare it with the original but as mentioned, I don't have it anymore and it's not on YT. Seems to be a longer sequence though emulating the launch scene from Apollo 13.

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
Watch the Dutch Apollo 12 through 17 broadcasts here: https://archive.org/details/thirdpartyspacevideos
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon