Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478912 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #885 on: February 09, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
Amusingly, Google Translate understands this idiom and translates it non-literally into the equivalent English idiom: "the guy really doesn't have all his marbles".

There are so many English idioms with this same basic meaning that I doubt even Google knows them all. Let's see:

EN: "His elevator doesn't go all the way to the top."

DE: "Sein Aufzug nicht gehen den ganzen Weg nach oben."

As I suspected, looks pretty literal to me.

Me and some friends are joking with these literal translations from English to German. When we're having a beer outside we use a mix of English and German (it's called Denglisch - Deutsch und Englisch). So we translate some special phrases into English. For example the German phrase "Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof" (in the meaning: I don't understand the subject) to "I only understand railway station". The facial expressions of the people around us: Priceless  ;D

Hehehe.  I know just enough "tourist german" to get a good laugh out of that one.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #886 on: February 09, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
IDW aka Romulus claims he was responsible for the badastronomy forum getting shut down and becoming cosmoquest.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2682209/pg28#48775675

So it's his fault!  You know, if I thought anyone actually believed that, I might be able to get up a decent-sized lynch mob.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #887 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »
Of course his story fails when you remember that the badastronomy forum merged with Universe Today to become BAUT THEN later became Cosmoquest.  He forgot the middle step. 
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #888 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
He forgot the middle step. 

That really describe his whole online presence. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #889 on: February 09, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
...and I'm banned from there again. Might be an IP sweep, might be IDW cowardly reporting anyone who replied to him to the mods. Just as well. I have better things to do with my time off.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #890 on: February 09, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »
...and I'm banned from there again. Might be an IP sweep, might be IDW cowardly reporting anyone who replied to him to the mods. Just as well. I have better things to do with my time off.

How could you possibly be banned? I can't imagine you pulling the wings off a fly, let alone upsetting CTs.  :o
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #891 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
GLP bans automatically for posting various websites on a secret list that only the mods know.  That is why I don't often post links there as you don't know if the site is on the list until it is too late.
They also do random bans to try to extort money for memberships.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #892 on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
GLP bans automatically for posting various websites on a secret list that only the mods know.  That is why I don't often post links there as you don't know if the site is on the list until it is too late.

This is the only forum of which I am a member. I did join BAUT when it was BAUT, but I rarely used it and have since forgotten my username and password. I won't be joining GLP in a hurry. Am I correct that Icke charges to be a member of his forum?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #893 on: February 09, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »

This is the only forum of which I am a member. I did join BAUT when it was BAUT, but I rarely used it and have since forgotten my username and password. I won't be joining GLP in a hurry. Am I correct that Icke charges to be a member of his forum?
Ickes's forum is free but the mods can be draconian.  GLP is free to post anonymously or use a free account but paid accounts get more privileges including immunity from bans and the ability to ban individual posters from your own threads.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #894 on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
Ickes's forum is free but the mods can be draconian.

What, when you argue that lizard people aren't going to take over the world in 2017???

GLP is free to post anonymously or use a free account but paid accounts get more privileges including immunity from bans and the ability to ban individual posters from your own threads.

I'm happy posting here in that case. I've heard some of the other members here talk about other forums and either that they are lax or draconian. It's nice here.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #895 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
GLP is very lax and there is very little that you can get banned for.  Posting a website link that nobody knows which ones are bad is a big one.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #896 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Amusingly, Google Translate understands this idiom and translates it non-literally into the equivalent English idiom: "the guy really doesn't have all his marbles".

There are so many English idioms with this same basic meaning that I doubt even Google knows them all. Let's see:

Me and some friends are joking with these literal translations from English to German. When we're having a beer outside we use a mix of English and German (it's called Denglisch - Deutsch und Englisch). So we translate some special phrases into English. For example the German phrase "Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof" (in the meaning: I don't understand the subject) to "I only understand railway station". The facial expressions of the people around us: Priceless  ;D

Hehehe.  I know just enough "tourist german" to get a good laugh out of that one.

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #897 on: February 09, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Drop you panties Sir William, I cannot wait till lunchtime!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #898 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »
Um, wasn't that Hungarian, not German?

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #899 on: February 09, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
Is IDW drunk?
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2682209/pg31#48796449
(warning: language)
He was gone for a few hours after claiming the UV images from Apollo 16 didn't exist because he never heard of them then comes back with the above linked post.