Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479039 times)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #600 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
And....DaylightSavingsTime is out of there at jref.
Yep, and he was ejected faster than you can say "Tranquility Base here...".
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
And he's quite obviously back at JREF as HonoluluFilly.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #602 on: May 18, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »

Yep, and I copped a warning for calling him out as a P1K sockpuppet, in other words, for stating the obvious!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Stout Cortez

• Mercury
« Reply #603 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
I see that "HonoluluFilly" has just been banned at JREF as a Patrick1000 sockpuppet. Odd that it took that long for them to notice what was immediately apparent.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #604 on: May 23, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
For one thing,  he has this habit of choosing screen names that consist of two words mashed together,  like. ..like...

Nevermind.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #605 on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »

Yep, and I copped a warning for calling him out as a P1K sockpuppet, in other words, for stating the obvious!

Surprised he hasn't resurfaced here given LO's tolerance level for allowing these things to play out.

IMHO, that warning should be rescinded, but alas, I am not a mod.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #606 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
So where does Doctor Socks go between appearances here and at the BAUT/CosmoQ/WhateverTheyCallItTheseDays?  Does he take a few days off to find something else obscure and uninteresting?  Or does he methodically start up a new sock at the next of the dozen boards in his visit list?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #607 on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »
So where does Doctor Socks go between appearances here and at the BAUT/CosmoQ/WhateverTheyCallItTheseDays?  Does he take a few days off to find something else obscure and uninteresting?  Or does he methodically start up a new sock at the next of the dozen boards in his visit list?
The JREF forum.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #608 on: June 19, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
Poor Heiwa, just when he thought he'd found a home full of special new friends who liked him, he's immersed in more trouble.

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1632&start=345

The special people at Cluesforum are engaged in an exciting debate, in which they escalate the stupidity on a daily basis (something at which they excel), namely their suggestion that rockets don't work in a vacuum. NASA says rockets work in a vacuum, NASA tells lies, therefore rockets don't work in a vacuum. Anyone who says rockets do work in a vacuum is one of those pesky NASA shills promoting a lie to deceive the sheeple.

That would be Heiwa, who is desperately trying to point out to the intellectually deficient that they are wrong, and that the main reason Man couldn't go to the moon is because of his own stupid theory. Oh the irony. He must feel some of the frustration and annoyance we've all felt when trying to point out something blindingly obvious to people who just will not listen.

The thread I linked to above is a psychologist's paradise. Key individuals in a group have adopted a position. The remainder of the group fall behind the leaders and adopt the position. All views that reinforce the adopted ideology are accepted (especially those that have some sort of apparent validity because they use big words and complex arguments), contrary theories are rejected, no matter how logical or simple the argument.

The adopted position spirals way beyond the original premise through a series of escalated arguments and peer pressure, while those who disagree are increasingly marginalised. Like Heiwa. Heiwa currently has the protection of the group leaders because he has made 'important contributions' on the Apollo 'hoax' by producing his own set of big words and complex arguments to validate an illogical position. It will be interesting to see how long it will be before he is turned on and evicted.

It's fascinating.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #609 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:09 AM »
Oh my giddy aunt. I am certainly no rocket scientist but I just started at page one of that thread and I wonder how we managed to leave the trees in the first place. I understand that JREF has this stundie thingy, that thread should be an all time winner.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #610 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »
Oh my giddy aunt. I am certainly no rocket scientist but I just started at page one of that thread and I wonder how we managed to leave the trees in the first place. I understand that JREF has this stundie thingy, that thread should be an all time winner.

I submitted it, but I don't think a whole thread qualifies.

I have to say, there is enough material there for whole year of stundies?

This one, I have to say, is priceless...

"I think the main point that the posters on this thread (who are more scientifically minded than I) have been making is that the vacuum itself exerts a force of its own that renders nil the force of the mass of gas escaping from a rocket's nozzle.

To use a simple analogy, think of a rocket and its escaping gas as an aerosol can full of silly string. When you press the button on the aerosol can, silly string is ejected at great speed. If there's enough speed, it may exert force on the aerosol can, so that the silly string is moving in one direction, and the can in the other. Newton.

But in a vacuum, the speed of the equalizing force of the vacuum is akin to someone pulling the silly string out of the aerosol can faster than it can be ejected, thus nullifying the force caused by the silly string's ejection.

Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, since pulling the silly string out would actually cause the aerosol can to move in the same direction as the pull. This wouldn't be a factor with gases being pulled into the vacuum."

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #611 on: June 19, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »
I just glanced at the last two pages, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Heiwa as the sane one in a discussion?? The mind reels...

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #612 on: June 19, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
Not got past page 1. Saving the rest for ron.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #613 on: June 19, 2013, 07:22:01 AM »
There is a certain appeal to people that will do whatever it takes to get their point across.  But not enough appear, to me, to read much of the thread.  It has more self assured conclusions drawn from compounding on a simple misunderstanding than one can bear. 

Such as a fire hose pushes back on the fireman because of the air.  I wonder then how a jet airplane flies when the small area of thrust from the engine has to push on the air to overcome the much larger push of the air caused by body of the aircraft?  Enquiring minds want to know. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:23:40 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #614 on: June 19, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
The thread I linked to above is a psychologist's paradise. Key individuals in a group have adopted a position. The remainder of the group fall behind the leaders and adopt the position. All views that reinforce the adopted ideology are accepted (especially those that have some sort of apparent validity because they use big words and complex arguments), contrary theories are rejected, no matter how logical or simple the argument.

The irony is those who most bandy around the label "sheeple" are themselves most sheeplish.