Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 52749 times)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
They're just starting to move into the low 40s in England. So probably still a couple of months for me.

Clearly the UK population is far too old.
;D That'll be me and my friends taking all the available doses.  I've had both now, so looking forward to a return to something nearer normal!

I had a mild reaction to the first (Pfizer) shot, just general tiredness, but the second really hit me like I had the flu, with chills and sweats for nearly 24 hours  :o
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
Now serving 42 year olds.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2021, 01:08:26 PM »
Is information about what's happening in India being reported in the USA?

I have to admit that I'm not following the news much of late, but I've definitely seen information about that.

Sunday, I am two-weeks-past, but my best friend will not be until another about five weeks.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
A bit late to the party. I got my first Pfizer shot two weeks ago, also in Ontario like Lunar Orbit. My second shot isn't scheduled until August 4th or something. I'm hoping my family will be able to visit my Dad and my step family who live in Virginia in August. We go to Oak island (not the pirate island, that's Nova Scotia) in north Carolina. I hope the border will be open, my dad is 82 and I'd like to meet my step sister's baby daughter :)

Cheers

Peter

Edit: My reaction to the first shot was a sore shoulder the next day. It was only one day

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:50:46 PM by peter eldergill »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
For me, and I'm given to understand for a lot of other people with chronic pain issues, any side effects were pretty well indistinguishable from normal.  I actually took a nap, which is unusual for me, but "I'm really tired and my joints hurt" is just . . . life.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
My second shot isn't scheduled until August 4th or something.

I'm hoping that as more doses become available they will decide the 4 month wait between shots isn't necessary.

I'm hoping my family will be able to visit my Dad and my step family who live in Virginia in August. We go to Oak island (not the pirate island, that's Nova Scotia) in north Carolina. I hope the border will be open, my dad is 82 and I'd like to meet my step sister's baby daughter :)

I hope you're able to do that. I guess it all depends on whether other people do their part and get vaccinated.

My reaction to the first shot was a sore shoulder the next day. It was only one day

I felt like I had mild cold (slight fever, headache, sore neck and achy joints) yesterday (my second day), but I'm feeling fine now.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
Also in Ontario. Got mine on the 7th, Pfizer, possibly some tiredness, definitely a slight sore arm for one day (mostly only noticed if I raised my arm). Currently scheduled for 2nd on July 28th.

My younger son, who lives with us and is in his twenties, may be able to schedule one next week as we're in a hot spot. Mind you, he (like I) is working from home, and both of us only go out for medical appointments. Most vulnerable in our household is my wife, who does the grocery shopping.

My company has said we can work from home, on a voluntary basis, through the end of the year. They're also actually hiring, but it's a software firm (backup/document management, primarily), so there's significant demand right now. CEO keeps saying "wear the masks".

Offline NthBrick

• Venus
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2021, 12:40:59 AM »
The big question is which one I'll get. So far it's been all about the Pfizer and the AZ. Moderna is now starting and a few others are on the way. Maybe it'll be J&J, which is single dose. That'll be good. I love being vaccinated, but that doesn't mean I like getting stabbed with a needle.

Heh, I went with J&J for the same reason. Besides that though, one shot is less of a hassle than two.

Side effects of that one were pretty mild for me. It felt like coming down with "Flu-Lite" about 8 hours after the shot (chills, fever, aches, fatigue, etc.) and I spent most of the next day sleeping, though that probably is due in some measure to losing sleep the previous night. I did have a bit of an elevated heart rate for a few days afterwards, though that went away fairly quickly. Maybe related to the immune response?

Anyway, for a shot, I guess it was as close to a 10/10 experience as you can get.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2021, 12:46:56 PM »
Almost everyone I know who's gotten it has gone for the shot that was being offered where they got it.  I'm not sure anyone I know went somewhere where they had a choice.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2021, 03:31:17 AM »
My wife and I got the A-Z shot yesterday - less painful than many other needles I've had. But by the evening my wife was feeling nauseous, and she's feeling tired and nauseous today. I've got achey joints and muscles, and I'm feeling tired, which is much the same as I feel when I get a cold.

We got the shots through our GP, but we were told we could have got the Pfizer shot through the government-run clinics around the city. We didn't think it was worth changing, seeing as I'd already taken time off work to get the jab.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2021, 04:05:45 AM »
My wife and I got the A-Z shot yesterday - less painful than many other needles I've had. But by the evening my wife was feeling nauseous, and she's feeling tired and nauseous today. I've got achey joints and muscles, and I'm feeling tired, which is much the same as I feel when I get a cold.

We got the shots through our GP, but we were told we could have got the Pfizer shot through the government-run clinics around the city. We didn't think it was worth changing, seeing as I'd already taken time off work to get the jab.
From what I've read on various forums (as it seems to be a common discussion topic no matter the theme of the forum) it doesn't make a huge difference which "brand" you get, as side-effects are fairly common with both A-Z and Pfizer.  The only difference seems to be that they're worse on the first dose for A-Z and on the second with Pfizer - and there's not really much info, or people reporting about e.g. Moderna or J&J, but I'd expect they'll cause similar reactions.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »
I got Moderna.  The first shot was a typical vaccine:  some injection-site pain that went away in a day or so.  The second produced fairly profound flu symptoms starting about 12 hours after the injection and lasting about 24 hours.  Not very pleasant.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:35 PM »
Both the wife and I recieved Pfizer.  Just sore arms with each one.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2021, 12:42:25 AM »
I should be able to get my appointment made for my first jab some time next week. Unsure when the appointment will be, but I hope sooner than later. It will be two years since I've seen my boyfriend at the end of the month, and I miss him something crazy.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2021, 03:03:43 AM »
Second Pfizer due on Tuesday 11th May.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)