Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Starship!
« Last post by raven on Today at 01:34:59 AM »
Definitely a giant leap. I am sure they will work out the kinks in the next steps.

Like the video downlink?  ;)
Yeah, that would be nice, especially when they insist on flying in fog or lowish cloud cover.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Michael Collins 1930 - 2021
« Last post by Matt D on May 06, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
RIP

A friend of mine does a lot of space-program-inspired paintings and sent one to Mike last year around his birthday.  He took the time to write a nice thank you letter back.  I thought that was very classy. 

« Last post by Count Zero on May 06, 2021, 08:05:01 AM »
Definitely a giant leap. I am sure they will work out the kinks in the next steps.

Like the video downlink?  ;)
« Last post by raven on May 05, 2021, 08:35:22 PM »
« Last post by jfb on May 05, 2021, 06:43:17 PM »
SN15 flight seems to have been successful - flew, flipped, landed, and it hasn't blown up yet.  Scary fire under the skirt after landing that took a long time to put out, but ... success?
To all, thanks for the info.
Its probably vibration from the exhaust plume impinging on the first stage uppers. The frequency probably matches the frame rate of the rolling shutter in the camera sensor. I suspect that it's similar to the rolling shutter effect you get with fast moving objects such as propellers.

https://youtu.be/dNVtMmLlnoE
My first thought was that it's a standing(ish) wave effect produced when the second stage plume interacts with the open top of the first stage.  That kind of effect will be highly sensitive to plume density.

But then the effect does seem suspiciously aligned with the video frame, making me think it could also be some kind of video artifact.

It might be both, exhaust resonating in the open top of the booster with some visible effect to its brightness/opacity at a frequency close to the frame rate.
My first thought was that it's a standing(ish) wave effect produced when the second stage plume interacts with the open top of the first stage.  That kind of effect will be highly sensitive to plume density.

But then the effect does seem suspiciously aligned with the video frame, making me think it could also be some kind of video artifact.
I have watched many of the SpaceX videos of the second stage igniting.  I noticed again today that when the engine ignites there are rolling horizontal line in the first stage video of the event.  Why does this occur?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10