Author Topic: NASA photographic record of Manned Moonlanding:Is there evidence of fabrication?  (Read 255316 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
The thing I find most amusing was Romulus' claims that the book has a "Library of Congress number." 

I did wonder about your question at the time. It did occur to me that you jumped on a juicy bone, but I was equally ignorant to the Library of Congress. Knowing your Socratic style from the IMDb and these boards I left it for Romulus to answer. I guess our equivalent would be the British Library?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Yes, it's the legal repository for the U.K. in the same way LC is for the United States.  In addition, each U.S. state is required to maintain at least one legal repository for U.S. government documents.  This is most often a land-grant university library.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
I think my alma mater has one.  That would certainly explain a fairly large chunk of our library.  Also those books of Supreme Court decisions in the basement that no one ever reads but that Simon likes to try to pull off the shelf.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Out here it's UCSD (University of California  San Diego). They have (or had) huge cabinets of microfiche with thousands of NASA documents, among many other things. I don't  know how much of it has been converted to electronic form and placed online. A lot has, but a lot hasn't.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
...and all this stuff is out there for anyone to go look at, should they be prepared to make any effort. There are even countless editions of original NASA publications floating around places like Abebooks and ebay for very reasonable prices (current bargain for UK posters: "Apollo over the moon: a view from orbit" for £2.45 and £2.75 postage at Abebooks!!).

For a small amount of effort, or money, you can look at photographs and articles that were all freely available around at the time of Apollo - not magically invented in the age of the internet or forcibly dragged kicking and screaming under a FOI request as some HB's seem to think.

Actual photographs, not scans of photographs. Real books!!

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
...real books!!

That made me smile. Despite Kindle and other new fangled ways of accessing books, you cannot replace the feel and sense of reading a real book. The paper, the turning of pages, the smell, the feel of it in your hands. Putting it on the beside table when turning over for sleep. There is something inherently honest and satisfying about real books.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:35:24 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
...real books!!

That made me smile. Despite Kindle and other new fangled ways of accessing books, you cannot replace the feel and sense of reading a real book. The paper, the turning of pages, the smell, the feel of it in your hands. Putting it on the beside table when turning over for sleep. There is something inherently honest and satisfying about real books.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
That skit must have been the inspiration for a gag in Wall-E. The captain of the Axiom is given a book of procedures for returning to Earth. This being 700 years in the future, he has never seen a book before, so he first tries talking to it. When that doesn't work, "Auto", his computerized first officer, shows him how to open it and turn the pages. The captain is very impressed.

I can't say I share the sentimentality for books. Yeah, they're easy to use  but they are heavy, bulky. hold relatively little information, and are difficult to search. They contain only text and still images, no video or audio. You can't resize the text if you have trouble reading it. They usually cannot be updated to the current version; they have to be discarded and replaced.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
That skit must have been the inspiration for a gag in Wall-E. The captain of the Axiom is given a book of procedures for returning to Earth. This being 700 years in the future, he has never seen a book before, so he first tries talking to it. When that doesn't work, "Auto", his computerized first officer, shows him how to open it and turn the pages. The captain is very impressed.

ApolloWasReal and his Wall-E avatar, days which are long gone with our little YouTube band. The skit made me smile.

I can't say I share the sentimentality for books. Yeah, they're easy to use  but they are heavy, bulky. hold relatively little information, and are difficult to search. They contain only text and still images, no video or audio. You can't resize the text if you have trouble reading it. They usually cannot be updated to the current version; they have to be discarded and replaced.

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to books. I cannot part with any of my books to be quite honest, despite much protest from those around me. I find the Internet hugely valuable, but I do get quite attached to paper bound in a spine. :)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Reminds me of this video from Ikea

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to books. I cannot part with any of my books to be quite honest, despite much protest from those around me. I find the Internet hugely valuable, but I do get quite attached to paper bound in a spine. :)

I'm with you.  I like my old fashioned books.  I don't own a Kindle, though I'll probably have to break down and get one eventually.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
I gladly get rid of paper whenever I can find the same information in electronic form. Every year I go through the same routine with my ham radio magazines; I order the DVD with the previous years' issues and get rid of the paper copies.

The only aspect of electronic publishing I can't stand is DRM. When you "buy" a book with DRM, you're not really buying anything. So given a choice between a DRMed book and a paper one, I'll still take paper. But not because it's what I really want.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
I have a great fondness for paper books.  It comes in part from the time invested in them.  When information was expensive and hard to get, one had to be selective about it.  And the selection and investment process tends to lead us to value what we have put effort into.  But despite my fondness I don't buy them at all any more.

Reading is somewhat more difficult for me than the average person, particularly long stretches of reading because I am so slow at it. So I limit what I read to the things that are required and have stopped reading fiction for pleasure.  The world of audiobooks reopened the enjoyment of fiction for me.   I walked 3 hours this morning listening to The Guermantes Way, the third of seven books of Proust's Remembrance of Things Past.  It runs twenty eight or so  hours and there s simply no way I could sit down and read it as it would take me even longer.   Audio books have reopen the world of fiction to me and allows me to stay active while also absorbing good writing.  And the wonderful thing is this series is available from my public library. 

What I miss when listening to audiobooks are the things that make paper books so special.  The ability to make gloss notes and stop to savor, reread, contemplate and examine a particularity good passage, because the audio just goes on.  But the medium is just indispensable to me now. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett