Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope  (Read 71638 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
The JWST was tested in a cold vacuum chamber.  http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope

Don't tell our friend, Mr. Baker! :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:45:30 AM »
The JWST was tested in a cold vacuum chamber.  http://www.NASA.gov/feature/goddard/2016/NASA-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope
Just a note - the url needs to be in lower case to work.

On another note, my company is peripherally involved in JWST and a couple of our engineers were able to visit the people making the mirror control subsystem last week.  They were very impressed by the incredible accuracy of the system, so hopefully there won't be any out-of-focus images coming back this time  ;)

Ach, why not?  He might be willing to put his money where his mouth is to pay for the "proof" of his claims...  ;D

Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »

On another note, my company is peripherally involved in JWST and a couple of our engineers were able to visit the people making the mirror control subsystem last week.  They were very impressed by the incredible accuracy of the system, so hopefully there won't be any out-of-focus images coming back this time  ;)

Ach, why not?  He might be willing to put his money where his mouth is to pay for the "proof" of his claims...  ;D
[/quote]
That is great to know.  I did do a copy of the address bar for the link, but if it needs lowercase so be it.
Baker putting his money up?  He would find some other objection to the testing process.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope

Well, there must be a problem with the software, because even when you post the link in lower case, the forum software is changing the n.a.s.a part of the url into upper case.

Perhaps its something that LunarOrbit can fix
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »

http://www.NASA.gov/feature/goddard/2016/NASA-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope

Well, there must be a problem with the software, because even when you post the link in lower case, the forum software is changing the n.a.s.a part of the url into upper case.

I believe this has been noted before, not sure how to edit it.  The friendly default is capitals as it should be, except for url's.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »

http://www.NASA.gov/feature/goddard/2016/NASA-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope

I believe this has been noted before, not sure how to edit it.  The friendly default is capitals as it should be, except for url's.

I think it could be fixed by making it only capitalise if there are spaces either side of it because the software does not capitalize "nasa" when it is part of another word...

"planasa strawberry"

URLs are defined in RFC 3986 which does not allow the use of spaces without encoding either a "+" or "%20", so it won't be an issue.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
That probably would work.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-marks-major-milestones-for-the-james-webb-space-telescope

Sorry about that. I've removed "nasa" from the forum's auto-correct. It would be nice if it would just ignore URLs, but unfortunately it doesn't.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »
I think it could be fixed by making it only capitalise if there are spaces either side of it because the software does not capitalize "nasa" when it is part of another word...

I tried that, but the forum removes the spaces from either side of " nasa " when I tried adding that to the filter. No big deal, I can live with people using nasa instead of NASA.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »

I tried that, but the forum removes the spaces from either side of " nasa " when I tried adding that to the filter. No big deal, I can live with people using nasa instead of NASA.
Nice try anyway, LO
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
Covers removed and ready to start the testing prior to launch in 018.  The one aspect that disappoints me is the launch by ESA.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/james-webb-space-telescopes-golden-mirror-unveiled
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »
Covers removed and ready to start the testing prior to launch in 018.  The one aspect that disappoints me is the launch by ESA.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/james-webb-space-telescopes-golden-mirror-unveiled

You mean instead of NASA? If so, I think that is the price they have paid for backing the wrong horse back in the 1970's in pursuing the Space Shuttle, especially after they came to realise that turnaround servicings were going to be hundreds, perhaps even thousands of times more complicated than what they had planned for...

This is what they wanted

This is what they got!!

They also played fast and loose with safety; administrators and bean counters ignoring the warnings of spacecraft engineers that what they were doing was dangerous and would lead to in-flight catastrophes. Had they listened, they might not have killed 14 astronauts. 

I wonder what lifting capability NASA would now have if they had carried on with Saturn and developed it to is full potential as it was upgraded with new avionics, electronics and computers. Saturn wasn't just a rocket to launch men to the moon, it was a system (a family of rockets) that was used to LEO as well.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Yes I did mean instead of NASA.  I have often wondered if the F-1's and J-2's to closed cycle? Imagine what the output might have been.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:47 AM »
Hmm - it's easy to criticise the design after it was built. Yes, the design was bastardised: the payload bay was changed, the launch configuration, the re-usability. The feasibility study used a completely unrealistic launch rate. However if they didn't build to the available funds, it wouldn't have ever been built (presumably).

That being said, the STS wasn't a lemon. In both cases of disaster, there were warnings regarding hazards that were ignored and could have possibly been mitigated against.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:27:41 AM by Obviousman »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
Hmm - it's easy to criticise the design after it was built.

Have to agree. As a concept the shuttle was an incredible idea, it served its purpose well. It went into space and it returned. Would Hubble have been repaired without the shuttle? What impact did the shuttle program have on Russian-US relations?  When I was a kid, AirFix began making shuttle models with the shuttle piggy backed onto the back of a Boeing. The models were launched prior to the first launch. My father bought me the model and it utterly inspired my love of science. There are so many aspects of space programs that are not easily measurable, and in honesty, given the success of the shuttle. We should salute its achievements.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch