Author Topic: Chang'e 5  (Read 13349 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Chang'e 5
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »
0200 in the morning for me; I'll wait for the replay...

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
Several amateur tracking stations are also following the flight. Scott Tilley (twitter @coastal8049) and Daniel Estévez (@ea4gpz) have made impressive strides in understanding the orbital maneuvers and telemetry format, respectively.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 12:59:30 AM »
Several amateur tracking stations are also following the flight. Scott Tilley (twitter @coastal8049) and Daniel Estévez (@ea4gpz) have made impressive strides in understanding the orbital maneuvers and telemetry format, respectively.

With considerable accuracy too.  Some have successfully downloaded engineering imagery being transmitted

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 01:13:23 AM »
Makes a nice inadvertent Birthday Present for moi,  the landing* happening on my birthday.
*fingers, toes , and eyes crossed

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
Makes a nice inadvertent Birthday Present for moi,  the landing* happening on my birthday.
*fingers, toes , and eyes crossed
Excellent.  Happy Birthday to you! Have a great day of it :-)
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »
Timeline here, spanish and english, countdowns should update to your local time zone

http://win98.altervista.org/space/exploration/change5countdown.html

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
Excellent!  A successful landing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55148998

I was hoping there would be a live stream, but I guess they maybe decided against it in case of a failure.  I'm hoping they might show the sampling and lift-off though, as they should be less risky.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »
Timeline here, spanish and english, countdowns should update to your local time zone

http://win98.altervista.org/space/exploration/change5countdown.html

Italian, actually.  I speak Italian fairly fluently, and it surprising me there's no translation for things such as "phasing burn."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
Seems to have landed today to begin the drilling/scooping operations.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »
Seems to have landed today to begin the drilling/scooping operations.

Live broadcast of sample collection attempt begins in two hours

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:49 PM »
edited highlights of scoop operation and sample deposition into container https://weibo.com/tv/v/4577649704763404

Stop motion footage of drill https://weibo.com/tv/v/4577643832737843

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 12:36:32 AM »
BEIJING, Dec. 2 (Xinhua) -- China's Chang'e-5 probe has collected moon samples, the China National Space Administration (CNSA) announced Wednesday.

The lander-ascender combination of Chang'e-5 has finished the tasks of moon sample drilling and packaging at 4:53 a.m. Wednesday.

It is gathering samples from the surface as planned.

After successfully landing on the near side of the moon late Tuesday, the Chang'e-5 probe carried out preparation work including unfolding solar wings.

The probe adopts two methods of moon sampling, including using drills to collect samples and gathering samples from the surface with a mechanical arm.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-12/02/c_139557795.htm

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 05:01:54 AM »
I'm curious to see how they store the drill samples - pointing out the difficulty of doing that robotically has long been part of my process of explaining how we know the Apollo samples were collected by people and not robots.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 06:05:34 AM »
I'm curious to see how they store the drill samples - pointing out the difficulty of doing that robotically has long been part of my process of explaining how we know the Apollo samples were collected by people and not robots.

I always considered it to be a question of scale. Robotically collected Lunar samples were returned to Earth by the Soviets in the 1970s.. However they collected something like 380 grams. The Apollo samples had a total mass of three orders of magnitude higher.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 06:25:21 AM »

I always considered it to be a question of scale. Robotically collected Lunar samples were returned to Earth by the Soviets in the 1970s.. However they collected something like 380 grams. The Apollo samples had a total mass of three orders of magnitude higher.

Sorry, I meant specifically the drill samples. They're talking about drilling down 2 metres. So does that mean they're planning to somehow shoehorn a 2 metre sample tube into their ascent vehicle, or drill out shorter segments, or something else? Apollo 15 drilled down a little further, and it's been easy to explain how it simply wasn't practical for the robot technology of the time to retrieve such a long sample and transport it back to Earth - hence the need for astronauts.

So how is Chang'e 5 going to do something which required people at the time of Apollo?