Off Topic > General Discussion

Looking for study about evacuation of aircraft

(1/2) > >>

Allan F:
In a recent discussion, I postulated that there has been an evacuation test of an airliner, where the test persons were promised a financial reward, if they were among the first out of the aircraft. This experiment led to congestion around narrow areas in the aircraft, slow evac, hurt testpersons, and ultimately led to a change in the interior design of airliners, giving more space to move around tight areas.

But I can't find the study. Does anybody know what I'm on about?

Obviousman:
Yep, I know the one. Let me see if I can find it.

Obviousman:
See Aircraft Evacuations Onto Escape Slides and Platforms I: Effects of Passenger Motivation, DOT/FAAAM-96/18.

From this page:  https://www.flightglobal.com/do-aircraft-evacuation-tests-work/82508.article

--- Quote ---In this study, the 'competitive' group were offered a financial bonus of $50 to be among the first 25% passengers to evacuate the arcraft. However, the passengers in the competitve trials "...(became) more aggressive and climbing over seats, outmaneuvering other passengers, etc. to get out quickly" resulting in broken over seat backs, among others. I suspect participant safety is the main reason FAA doesn't offer any incentives duing demonstration.
--- End quote ---

Allan F:
BRILLIANT - this was in a discussion with a female airline pilot, who absolutely thought that was bad information.

Dalhousie:

--- Quote from: Obviousman on November 03, 2021, 04:21:57 PM ---See Aircraft Evacuations Onto Escape Slides and Platforms I: Effects of Passenger Motivation, DOT/FAAAM-96/18.

From this page:  https://www.flightglobal.com/do-aircraft-evacuation-tests-work/82508.article

--- Quote ---In this study, the 'competitive' group were offered a financial bonus of $50 to be among the first 25% passengers to evacuate the arcraft. However, the passengers in the competitve trials "...(became) more aggressive and climbing over seats, outmaneuvering other passengers, etc. to get out quickly" resulting in broken over seat backs, among others. I suspect participant safety is the main reason FAA doesn't offer any incentives duing demonstration.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

This seems to be removed from the current version of the article

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version