Author Topic: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.  (Read 206775 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.
« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
As entertaining as some of these ideas for the bingo spaces are, I think we need to limit the overall number of possibilities and weed out some of the more obscure, or else nobody will ever win.

A previous forum regular here suggested on another site that it was filmed in superfluid helium.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
As entertaining as some of these ideas for the bingo spaces are, I think we need to limit the overall number of possibilities and weed out some of the more obscure, or else nobody will ever win.

That's a good point. So yeah, I think we've got enough for now. We'll try it out (assuming we get another HB) and make adjustments if necessary.

We won't limit it to one HB per card, so if we get two or three HBs the game should move faster.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »

I think traditional bingo uses the numbers 1 to 75, so, at least in theory, I don't have a problem with having a large number of possibilities; however, I agree the obscure ones should be weeded out.  In real bingo, every number has an equal probability of being called, so we should use only those items that have a reasonably good chance of showing up in an HB debate to try to even out the odds.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
We really went to the moon, but faked the photos (for some crazy reason) anyway.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »
- Only aware of Apollo 11 and 13

Which makes you wonder what they thought happened to 12.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »
- The spacecraft was too small inside (DAKDAK was concerned about the volume of the CM, so this change will cover both possibilities)
Should we include claims so bizarre and idiosyncratic to one CT that even most CTs don't repeat them? Or should we limit ourselves to claims that gain general traction and are constantly repeated?

I'd add "the claimed laser reflectors could be natural". Yes, this goes beyond pointing out that pre-Apollo laser ranging experiments were done off the moon; it claims that the retroreflectors now said to be there are natural surface features. And besides, they could have been placed by robots...

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #396 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:04 AM »
IDW (don't ask) once claimed 11 was faked but the other landings were real (though he also thought the 13 crisis was staged).

I'd suggest the "We only went once, in 1969" entry be made more general (unless that's really meant to be just about people who've only ever heard of 11 yet have an opinion...).

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #397 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:22 AM »
Would this warrant its own space? I've heard it claimed missions from 1969-72 were fake, because of the Van Allen Belts, which is a bit of a contradiction, no?

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #398 on: June 25, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »
So are we actually going to play this game?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #399 on: June 25, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »
We just need some hoax believers now......
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #400 on: June 25, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »
We just need some hoax believers now......

:::: crickets ::::

Maybe they all moved to Australia...
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
I've got a feeling there were only a half dozen or so active hoax believers on the entire internet (not counting sock puppets) and either I have banned them, we've scared them away, or they've died of old age.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
« Reply #402 on: June 25, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Active HBs willing to get on this forum, anyways!

Because trust me, there's lots of HBs out there.  One was in my Astronomy class in Del Mar College.  Which made me wonder why she took the course.
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #403 on: June 25, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Active HBs willing to get on this forum, anyways!

Because trust me, there's lots of HBs out there.  One was in my Astronomy class in Del Mar College.  Which made me wonder why she took the course.

To get arguments she could use, of course. And if she doesn't get them, she can then argue that the truth is being suppressed by Academia.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #404 on: June 25, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
I've got a feeling there were only a half dozen or so active hoax believers on the entire internet (not counting sock puppets) and either I have banned them, we've scared them away, or they've died of old age.
You could issue a blanket amnesty, and see what happens.