Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399545 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
Not that it will make a difference, but it is rather entertaining watching the numbers tick over on this petition to Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
I wouldn't have voted for this clown for dog catcher, but I thought his campaign rhetoric was probably a bunch of radical crazy populist B.S.; but once elected and in office, I thought cooler, saner heads would prevail. It looks like I was very, very, very self deluded.

Whose saner heads, though?  Since basically no one was willing to stand up to him during the campaign, who was left to do it once he was in power?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
I wouldn't have voted for this clown for dog catcher, but I thought his campaign rhetoric was probably a bunch of radical crazy populist B.S.; but once elected and in office, I thought cooler, saner heads would prevail. It looks like I was very, very, very self deluded.

Whose saner heads, though?  Since basically no one was willing to stand up to him during the campaign, who was left to do it once he was in power?

Exactly, with the lurch to fundamentalist right-wing views in the higher echelons of the Republican camp, it was clear that many forces were at play, and this administration is the collective policy of disgruntled alt-right extremists that are grinding every axe they can find. They've had 8 years to concoct this agenda. There are no saner voices. This is the voice of collective policy, not the demagogue that sits in the Oval Office. The manner with which Trump assembled his cabinet shows a collection of secularist politicians and the self-interest of the rich, and this will shape US economic, foreign and domestic policy. LGBT rights will be next.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:14:48 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
I don't understand - courts issue a stay of the immigration ban, and DHS says, "Bleep you, we're keeping it in place anyway." What happened to rule of law?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
I was reading through your Imperious Leader's most recent Executive Order regarding travel restrictions on people from certain countries, and I thought some of it had a familiar feel to it. It took me a while to realise that the rhetoric and sentiment is very similar to that given by another right-wing Head of State on January 30, 1939.

Currently, the world is in almost as deep a state of crisis as it was in the 1930s and 1940s when the political climate in the Weimar Republic gave us Hitler. The very existence of human civilization on this planet is under threat and, year upon year, things are getting worse. Globally, democratic political systems have become paralyzed in dealing with this threat almost as much they were in dealing with the Great Depression. Real wage levels are back to where they were 85 years ago while social peace is maintained by record setting levels of debt. Since 9/11, we have seen a continually growing campaign among democratic societies to reduce civil liberties, claiming that this is a necessary step in fighting terrorism. It is worth noting that as Trump attempts to shut the door on Muslims because they might be terrorists, his actions bear a disturbing similarity to what US Attorney General Francis Biddle said in 1942....“every precaution must be taken to prevent enemy agents slipping across our borders. We already have had experience with them and we know them to be well trained and clever.”. He was effectively closing the door on Jews because they might be Nazi spies.

The threat of a new totalitarianism remains and continues to grow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:41:30 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
My google news feet requested the following news article some days ago:

"Trump's new head of science ministry believes Apollo was faked"

Or a title along those lines. I didn't even bother to click it. Surely its a stupid click bait title.
However, if the USA really has a science ministry which believes that... than the country truly has elected someone who can not separate facts from bullcrap.

Toodle-pip
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but apparently one of Trump's advisors (Roger Stone) believes "the moon landing" (as in "the one moon landing") was filmed in New Jersey.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/10/19/top-trump-adviser-roger-stone-moon-landing-video-was-hoax-filmed-new-jersey/213921

Trump is an idiot who surrounds himself with idiots.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
I wonder why he is so oddly specific about the location it was shot.

Also 'the moon landing video'? like only one video from a single camera was made... which is wrong. The Apollo 11 LEM and EVA had two video camera's, SSTV live feed camera and 16mm film camera.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2017, 09:58:33 PM »
Well, this is what you get when you vote an imbecile into office. He will surround himself with an echo chamber full of imbeciles.

Sorry America, you can't say you weren't warned.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »
I wonder why he is so oddly specific about the location it was shot.

Also 'the moon landing video'? like only one video from a single camera was made... which is wrong. The Apollo 11 LEM and EVA had two video camera's, SSTV live feed camera and 16mm film camera.

Probably because he sounds more convincing, when he provides some kind of detail, instead of waving his hands in an westernly direction.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:11 AM »
Not that it will make a difference, but it is rather entertaining watching the numbers tick over on this petition to Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

Is that a genuine petition? That is, are they genuine people signing that petition, or just a bunch of bots?

I mean, each time I hit the Refresh button, another 50-100 people have signed it...

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
Well, I've signed it and I know several other people who have too.  They send you an e-mail link to click to prove that your address is genuine.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Well, I've signed it and I know several other people who have too.  They send you an e-mail link to click to prove that your address is genuine.

It's apparently genuine. Theresa May so far says she'll ignore it because it's just "populist". I dunno, when 1 out of every 50 or so people in your country sign it, it seems like you might have an issue here.

Apparently Trump is a little edgy about having to meet the Royal Family anyway, since Charles is a known supporter of action on climate change, and Trump fears he will "lecture" him.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »

It's apparently genuine. Theresa May so far says she'll ignore it because it's just "populist".

Damn shame that she's not doing the same with the Brexit referendum. After all, that was advisory and most definitely based on populism!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
I don't understand - courts issue a stay of the immigration ban, and DHS says, "Bleep you, we're keeping it in place anyway." What happened to rule of law?

I've been trying to explain to the friend of a friend why I think the ban is unconstitutional.  She insists it isn't because the Constitution doesn't apply to non-citizens.  I informed her that it literally doesn't matter, as this is a situation where the government is explicitly favouring adherents of one religion over adherents of another with Trump's statement that Christian refugees will be prioritized.  Of course, she also thinks we should agree to disagree that every intelligence expert who's spoken out about this has done so to point out that this is a policy that will make Americans less safe, so I'm not convinced this woman is really thinking.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates