Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399785 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
I watched the '100 Days' speech President Trump gave to his supporters and frankly I was dumbfounded: couldn't those people recognise the same rhetoric? Had they been watching a different person for the last few months?

I just can't help but think of this:

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »
Today...

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2017, 11:45:21 AM »
I hope this is enough for some of the Republican Senators to recover their backbones and ethics.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
I hope this is enough for some of the Republican Senators to recover their backbones and ethics.

I hope so too, but Mitch McConnell has already dismissed the need for a special prosecutor, so it looks like he is going to continue to put party loyalty ahead of the best interests of your country.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
Shocked, shocked, winnings.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
Does this man have ANY redeeming qualities?
Read one of the linked transcripts in this article. Truly he is the singularity at the centre of a black hole of ignorance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/opinion/donald-trump-degradation-of-the-language.html?_r=0
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2017, 05:11:59 AM »
Does this man have ANY redeeming qualities?... Truly he is the singularity at the centre of a black hole of ignorance.

Like the bumper sticker said:--

ELECT A CLOWN -
EXPECT A CIRCUS

:) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:20:29 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
Our nation's epitaph is going to be "but her e-mails."  I literally saw a screencap from Fox News (I think from their website) that asked yesterday if she was going to be investigated some more.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Here's something worth pondering.

Penn Jillette talks, in his latest podcast, about his trip to London last week. He describes being astounded how the media is about seemingly entirely about American stories with the occasional reference to himself.

Erm, did he not notice we have a general election on?

Is this what they call confirmation bias?

He sees the stories of interest to him and ignores those that are not. So the reason he thinks it's wall to wall America is because that is the only time he's actually paying attention. The 90% of time it's about domestic news, most likely the election, he tunes out. And so when reviewing the balance of coverage, he incorrectly perceives it as being more American centred than it is.

I feel this is somehow relevant to this topic.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Our nation's epitaph is going to be "but her e-mails."  I literally saw a screencap from Fox News (I think from their website) that asked yesterday if she was going to be investigated some more.

Seriously, if I were Hilary Clinton, I'd have my bags packed and a place to go with no extradition. Because I can see Trump reaching the conclusion that a good show trial is the best way to divert attention from his actions. I'm sure he remembers how popular the "lock her up" chants were at his rallies.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »
Here's an excellent opinion piece from Jennifer Rubin at the Washington Post about Trump's problems.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/05/15/a-shake-up-may-make-things-worse/?utm_term=.702844c8e02f

The president has a congenital inability to take personal responsibility for his own mistakes.

...every error is someone else’s fault...

...when they are fired, aides have more incentive to rat out their former colleagues and boss.

Rather than a career-making move, going to work for Trump nearly guarantees one will appear dishonest and gullible. With each round of replacements the quality likely diminishes. Loyalty — toadyism, actually — is such an overarching requirement in this White House that new staff is unlikely to bring new ideas and/or help guide the president away from his own worst instincts.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:23:44 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »
I would think most truly competent people would have looked at his record and refused to have anything to do with him.  Especially anywhere he, personally, would be paying their salaries.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #284 on: May 28, 2017, 04:06:04 AM »
To be fair, isn't he the oldest of the lot?