Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 52733 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2021, 04:39:55 AM »
Yes--you're lucky enough to have sick leave.
Yes, living in northern Europe has its perks.

Living in a civilised country might be a better description...
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »
Yes--you're lucky enough to have sick leave.
Yes, living in northern Europe has its perks.

Living in a civilised country might be a better description...

That too :-\

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-55920046

Crazy woman harasses hospitals. Look, it's a pandemic not a zombie apocalypse. There shouldn't be the groans of the dying in every corridor. That's what the Nightingales are for. Also, hospital numbers are coming down anyway.

But what's more important is that the website front page described her as a conspiracist. This means that Jay has made it mainstream (something never said about anyone from Utah ever).

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
I may have popularized its usage, but I certainly didn't coin the word.  I thought I had at the time I wrote the bulk of Clavius.org, in the early 2000s.  But since then I have seen it print sources that easily predate my usage.  It's just an "obvious" word, I guess -- a word you don't know for a fact has been used before, but employs the language properly to make the word self-defining.  Thanks for the shout-out, though.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2021, 08:39:15 AM »
The UK has reached 50% vaccination. Also over 20% are double done too. Piers Corbyn is failing.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
I am double-vaccinated and will be good to go on Sunday.  Graham's had one and gets his second in three weeks--as has my best friend.  I have plans.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
I hit my two-weeks-past-second-dose tonight.  Looking forward to seeing some other double-vaccinated friends this weekend.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »
Still waiting for mine - my agegroup is scheduled to be vaccinated last, unfortunately.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »
I just got my first shot of AstraZeneca about an hour ago... so far so good. I'm probably going to have to wait 4 months for the second shot... because ignoring the manufacturer's recommendations is how we do things in Ontario.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
They're just starting to move into the low 40s in England. So probably still a couple of months for me.

Clearly the UK population is far too old.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2021, 02:52:13 PM »
The big question is which one I'll get. So far it's been all about the Pfizer and the AZ. Moderna is now starting and a few others are on the way. Maybe it'll be J&J, which is single dose. That'll be good. I love being vaccinated, but that doesn't mean I like getting stabbed with a needle.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2021, 02:58:37 PM »
I love being vaccinated, but that doesn't mean I like getting stabbed with a needle.

I went most of my life (as far back as I remember anyway) not getting any needles... but in the last 6 months or so I've had a flu shot, some blood tests and IVs for a minor surgery in February, and now this AstraZeneca shot. I have to say that the fear (which might be too strong of a word) I had of them was overblown because they are so sharp that they slide right through your skin without you even noticing them.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »
I got the AZ shot back in late March, and am waiting for the second dose in early June. Painless injection (the lady was very good!) and no side effects apart from a mildly sore arm at the injection site for a day. I am not sure if that is good or bad, as it could mean I am not mounting a sufficient immunoresponse. That being said, throughout my life I have never had any allergic reactions to medications, no side effects, nothing.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2021, 05:37:53 AM »
The big question is which one I'll get. So far it's been all about the Pfizer and the AZ. Moderna is now starting and a few others are on the way. Maybe it'll be J&J, which is single dose. That'll be good. I love being vaccinated, but that doesn't mean I like getting stabbed with a needle.

Ya big baby!  :)

Needles 'R' Us for me. It's a rare month that I don't get a needle for something, thanks to Crohn's Disease. In fact I've just started a treatment which involves self-administering the drug by needle.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2021, 05:46:19 AM »
Anyway, first vaccination for my wife and me next week. Don't know about timing for the second jab.

Here in Australia we're doing really well in terms of keeping COVID out of the country (I'd mention a crowd of 78,000 at a football game except that the wrong team won the game). But we've sort of dropped the ball when it comes to vaccinations. Hopefully things will start to ramp up in coming months.

My big concern is that so many people have been so complacent about the virus that it's been allowed to circulate widely enough to give dangerous mutations time to evolve. Is there still much skepticism about the reality of the virus around the place? Is information about what's happening in India being reported in the USA?