Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Skylab launch video and animation
« Last post by bknight on March 16, 2024, 11:50:13 AM »
When the micrometeoroid shield and other structures detached from the payload during ascent, they damaged the linear shaped charge used to separate the interstage. The damage created a discontinuity in the explosive material. Because only one detonator was provided, the charge only progressed as far as the discontinuity. Ordinarily it would race all the way around the vehicle in a tiny fraction of a second. For this reason, any time these days we use the same separation method, we provide a detonator at each end of the charge. But more often we use mechanical designs that require only one small detonator that fails the mechanical attachment uniformly.
Did they ever determine why the shield detached?
Announcements / Re: New web hosting and down time.
« Last post by Ranb on March 12, 2024, 11:30:08 PM »
Working fine, thanks.
« Last post by JayUtah on March 11, 2024, 10:22:16 AM »
When the micrometeoroid shield and other structures detached from the payload during ascent, they damaged the linear shaped charge used to separate the interstage. The damage created a discontinuity in the explosive material. Because only one detonator was provided, the charge only progressed as far as the discontinuity. Ordinarily it would race all the way around the vehicle in a tiny fraction of a second. For this reason, any time these days we use the same separation method, we provide a detonator at each end of the charge. But more often we use mechanical designs that require only one small detonator that fails the mechanical attachment uniformly.
« Last post by Obviousman on March 11, 2024, 01:52:59 AM »
Yep - no issues today; appears that fixed it.
« Last post by LunarOrbit on March 09, 2024, 10:15:36 PM »
Hmmm - I've amended the bookmark & that seems to have worked.

That's good to hear!
« Last post by Obviousman on March 09, 2024, 08:20:46 PM »
I didn't realise the issues they had with the S-II skirt.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Remarkable eBay find regarding Apollo 11
« Last post by Obviousman on March 09, 2024, 08:19:38 PM »
Great work!
« Last post by Obviousman on March 09, 2024, 08:08:16 PM »
Hmmm - I've amended the bookmark & that seems to have worked.
« Last post by LunarOrbit on March 09, 2024, 07:51:08 PM »
Ranb & Obvious man...

Do you have the website bookmarked, or do you just type the URL into the address bar?

When I moved the website to the new host I decided to remove the www from the address since it isn't really necessary. I'm wondering if it maybe caused the issues you are experiencing if you have the address bookmarked with the www included. I'm not sure why that would matter, but it's the only thing I changed.
« Last post by Obviousman on March 09, 2024, 06:39:07 PM »
It did not allow me to login "forever", but did allow "1 month".  I'm good for another month.  :)
Similar issue: each time I go to the Forum, it hasn't logged me in. 'Forever' is selected and I can successfully log in but the next time I land on the page (even during the same session), it is the same login routine again. Cache has been cleared. Using Chrome version 122.0.6261.112 with Windows 10 Home version 22H2 build 19045.4046.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10