Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 411390 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1620 on: November 08, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
I think that history will not be kind to Trump (or his enablers).

Oh for a time machine, to see what's written in a couple of hundred years about the events of the last few months...

There'll be a bazillion political science degrees awarded on the analysis of this current era.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1621 on: November 08, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
All I am left feeling is relief.  I don't particularly like Biden, as it happens.  For one thing, I'm not best thrilled at having yet another President who demonstrably can't keep his hands to himself.  But he'll be better, and he'll be enough better so that things will get better.

Last night, a friend called one of the hotlines for reporting having observed voter fraud as Charles Foster Kane.  (My friend does a spot-on Orson Welles.)  And reported having observed plot points from Citizen Kane.  We then had a lengthy conversation about whether the people manning the hotlines are volunteers or paid; whether we felt bad for them depended on which it was.  But they keep changing the numbers, because they keep getting--well, people like us calling them.  Which just proves they're theatre, because if you did spot voter fraud, how would you know where to call?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1622 on: November 08, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
His hair has already left..

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1623 on: November 08, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »
I'm also still sticking with my prediction of a civil war starting over the next few weeks, as Trump tries to destroy everything with his death throes.

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
« Reply #1624 on: November 08, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
The best lawyers YOUR money can buy.

Don't forget his Official Election Defense Fund, where, surprise (not), "50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), to be designated toward DJTFP’s 2020 general election account for general election debt retirement until such debt is retired." 

Not that I think that those who contribute will have a problem with this, but it is interesting that a site so-named is also there to help him pay off his campaign debt. 

And can someone check me on this (I'm pretty tired), because I can't see this as anything other than an example of someone where English is not a primary language:

"Please contribute ANY AMOUNT in the IMMEDIATELY to the Official Election Defense Fund and to claim your 1000%-MATCH!"

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1625 on: November 09, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
I couldn't believe it when Trump tweeted about a major press conference at the Four Seasons and then clarified that it was a gardening place in the middle of an industrial estate in what looks like a very rundown part of town.

Poor Rudi...  he wanted to avoid another embarrassing scene in a Hotel, and ended up next to Fantasy Island Adult Books.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1626 on: November 09, 2020, 11:49:29 AM »

Now and then some people address the result of your election without filter.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1627 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1628 on: November 09, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »
I'm also still sticking with my prediction of a civil war starting over the next few weeks, as Trump tries to destroy everything with his death throes.

Well, that's one way of getting out of paying his debts...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1629 on: November 09, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
A civil war will not happen.  Not enough of his sycophants actually care enough to do it.  Certainly they have no concept of working together, kind of necessary for that sort of thing.  He doesn't have the generals--they hate him--so the military isn't on his side.  And frankly, a lot of his gun nut followers are cowards who like talking a big game but wouldn't risk themselves.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1630 on: November 09, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
A civil war will not happen.  Not enough of his sycophants actually care enough to do it.  Certainly they have no concept of working together, kind of necessary for that sort of thing.  He doesn't have the generals--they hate him--so the military isn't on his side.  And frankly, a lot of his gun nut followers are cowards who like talking a big game but wouldn't risk themselves.

There will be violence, it just won't be coordinated or large scale.  Less a civil war, more stochastic terrorism. 

We've been marinating in our own adrenaline since 2001, with FOX News and "personalities" like Limbaugh and Beck skating right up to the "incitement" line and pushing the "FEAR" button on a daily basis and slowly radicalizing an entire demographic.  Thanks to this longterm hormone imbalance over half the country is primed to believe any batshit conspiracy theory about "them". 

And I do not believe we will make any headway unless we start playing by those rules.  If yanking on the lizard brain is what we're reduced to, then we need to yank harder than the opposition until we get in a position to deprogram people. 

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1631 on: November 09, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1632 on: November 09, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »

I'm not so worried about a full scale civil war, but I do worry about the small number of lone gunmen and Timothy McVeighs that might be out there.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1633 on: November 09, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »
I enjoyed it too. He made a few good points as well as been quite funny.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1634 on: November 09, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
I'm waiting for the first Judge to label Trump as a vexatious litigant with respect to the fraud claims.