Author Topic: Extraordinary colour photographs from 1909 and 1912 of the Russian Empire  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
With images from southern and central Russia in the news lately due to extensive wildfires, I thought it would be interesting to look back in time with this extraordinary collection of color photographs taken between 1909 and 1912. In those years, photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun. Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:57:07 PM by Inanimate Carbon Rod »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Extraordinary colour photographs from 1909 and 1912 of the Russian Empire
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
Those are remarkable photos, both in composition and technical achievement. In only one (children sitting) did I see any real issues with the registration of the images. The shots with water had some issues, but the reflections weren't objectionable.

I'm really surprised, when looking at the close-ups, that there weren't issues with the eyes shifting during the exposures. 

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: Extraordinary colour photographs from 1909 and 1912 of the Russian Empire
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
Those are incredible pictures. I have actually seen people who don't believe they are genuinely from that time because of the incredible resolution. Of course, try explaining to them that in those days they were using large glass plates and not 35 or 16 mm film and it goes waaaaay over their heads....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
Stunning.  The richness of detail is amazing.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
I have actually seen people who don't believe they are genuinely from that time because of the incredible resolution.

You mean the inhabitants of DavidIcke.com's forums? Just a guess  :D

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
I think no 28 is the most stand out of the lot. The blue robes are simply stunning.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Extraordinary colour photographs from 1909 and 1912 of the Russian Empire
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
Those are incredible pictures. I have actually seen people who don't believe they are genuinely from that time because of the incredible resolution. Of course, try explaining to them that in those days they were using large glass plates and not 35 or 16 mm film and it goes waaaaay over their heads....

No indication in the article;  4x5 or (I think more likely) 8x10?

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
I think no 28 is the most stand out of the lot. The blue robes are simply stunning.
Which gets us our link with space travel. :)
Space-travellers returning via Kazakhstan, which is culturally related to Uzbekistan, receive these gorgeous embroidered greatcoats.
And fancy hats if male.

No indication in the article;  4x5 or (I think more likely) 8x10?
The Wikipedia article on Prokudin-Gorsky says: The most common model used a single oblong plate 9 cm wide by 24 cm high.
I suppose that means all three exposures are on the same plate.

The article also states that these have been digitally tweaked to get the best possible images.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »
Yeah, the Library of Congress had to spend a lot of time on those pictures to get them to register properly. They probably didn't look anywhere near that good when they were first shown.

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
Which gets us our link with space travel. :)

You spotted the connection. High five. :D

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »
Those are indeed amazing.