Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 12977 times)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
"Anti-Stratfordians"?  Whattheheck?

ETA: Never mind. The Bard is an area where I'm particularly weak.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:42:14 PM by Sus_pilot »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Happy Holidays!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Anti-Stratfordian means "doesn't believe Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare's plays."  I can argue that for days, but no one else seems to want to.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »
Does it really matter? Would the plays we know as "Shakespeare's plays" be any worse if they were actually written by others?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
Anti-Stratfordian means "doesn't believe Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare's plays."  I can argue that for days, but no one else seems to want to.
I find it highly improbable that some Shmoe from the hinterland could have written all those plays and poetry? Lets discuss the exact nature of the conspiracy that hid the true author of the plays.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Does it really matter? Would the plays we know as "Shakespeare's plays" be any worse if they were actually written by others?

Depends on how you define "does it matter?" and who you think actually wrote them.  Mostly, it's people rejecting the idea that, yes, "some shmoe from the hinterland" could have done it.  Most of the proposed alternate authors are nobles--one is Queen Elizabeth!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Happy Holidays!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Happy holidays to all and may the New Year be hoax free.   

That would be a Christmas miracle.
It would also kind of end our reason for being on this board.  And since I like hanging out with all of you, I've changed my mind.  I wish us all a moon hoax filled New Year instead.

We could just enjoy celebrating the early American manned space program. It was a magnificent time (the space program itself, not the 1960s which were horrible with bad music, baby boomers, horrible architecture plus all the social problems of the time).

Btw, good looking very gibbous moon out tonight with Jupiter nearby.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »

I rather like Gielgud's response to one such theory:

"What self respecting actor would join the Royal Bacon Company?"

;D
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.