Off Topic > General Discussion

No fuel in Britain?

(1/4) > >>

LionKing:
Even trnsions has been witnessed and violence at the stations.  What exactly is going on and why?

onebigmonkey:
One fuel company reported that it was having issues getting drivers to fill petrol stations, thanks to a combination of factors involving COVID and Brexit and people just not wanting to be drivers any more because it sucks as a job.

This rapidly got translated into "there will be no petrol" and Mad Max levels of stupidity and selfishness.

End result is places get a delivery of fuel that would last a week and it gets drained dry in a few hours.

Meanwhile the government sat on its hands and asked people to play nice.

LionKing:

--- Quote from: onebigmonkey on September 29, 2021, 01:54:40 PM ---One fuel company reported that it was having issues getting drivers to fill petrol stations, thanks to a combination of factors involving COVID and Brexit and people just not wanting to be drivers any more because it sucks as a job.

This rapidly got translated into "there will be no petrol" and Mad Max levels of stupidity and selfishness.

End result is places get a delivery of fuel that would last a week and it gets drained dry in a few hours.

--- End quote ---

I see. I wish our problem was the same though. At least it would have been more easily solvable

molesworth:

--- Quote from: LionKing on September 29, 2021, 04:40:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: onebigmonkey on September 29, 2021, 01:54:40 PM ---One fuel company reported that it was having issues getting drivers to fill petrol stations, thanks to a combination of factors involving COVID and Brexit and people just not wanting to be drivers any more because it sucks as a job.

--- End quote ---

I see. I wish our problem was the same though. At least it would have been more easily solvable

--- End quote ---

I wish ours was easily solvable too, but unfortunately the level of selfishness and stupidity has meant people are filling their cars then filling cans and other containers, meaning even emergency vehicles and vital workers are left without fuel.  As OBM said, the government's response has been completely inadequate, bringing in a few hundred army drivers to help with deliveries (when we're about 100,000 drivers short in all sectors), promising a few thousand visas for foreign drivers who probably won't want to come here, and planning to push through more HGV driver tests somehow.

I'm glad I switched from a very hungry diesel Land Rover to a plug-in hybrid a couple of years ago - I can run mostly on electric and only use a few litres of petrol a month.

Peter B:

--- Quote from: molesworth on September 29, 2021, 05:38:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: LionKing on September 29, 2021, 04:40:30 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I wish ours was easily solvable too, but unfortunately the level of selfishness and stupidity has meant people are filling their cars then filling cans and other containers, meaning even emergency vehicles and vital workers are left without fuel.  As OBM said, the government's response has been completely inadequate, bringing in a few hundred army drivers to help with deliveries (when we're about 100,000 drivers short in all sectors), promising a few thousand visas for foreign drivers who probably won't want to come here, and planning to push through more HGV driver tests somehow.

I'm glad I switched from a very hungry diesel Land Rover to a plug-in hybrid a couple of years ago - I can run mostly on electric and only use a few litres of petrol a month.

--- End quote ---

Heh. At least our silliness in Australia during the pandemic was about toilet paper...proving that we know what to do when we give a shit.

And thanks to our current lockdown, I can't remember how many weeks it is since I filled either of our cars.

But back to fuel shortage impacts on industry, when the pandemic first hit and there were runs on the supermarkets, the Federal government leaned on the supermarket chains to help each other. That meant that the semi-trailers transporting groceries from warehouses to shops were often delivering to rival chains, thus ensuring that most supermarkets got at least some supply of most grocery items (and probably making deliveries more efficient). Sure, there were shortages of some items that didn't resolve for over a month, but the supermarkets were also pretty strict in imposing purchase limits.

And this is in a country where people are just a little more spread out than the UK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version