Apollo Discussions > Clavius Moon Base

If Neil Amrstong were to admit a hoax, you wouldn't believe it?

(1/5) > >>

bknight:
Jay simple question have you ever made this statement?  I suspect not, but I wanted to ask the host directly.

Glom:
If Armstrong ever said such a thing in the future, we'd be more concerned over the fact that he was a ghost.

bknight:
LOL, of course, but this question was in reference to the past, prior to Neil's death.

JayUtah:
Here's the relevant paragraph from an article I wrote for Metropole.

--- Quote ---"What if Neil Armstrong himself said it was all a hoax? Wouldn’t that clinch it? Put another way, what if Gen. Eisenhower had “admitted” that D-Day in 1944 was just a hoax, that it never occurred? We’d properly discount that admission because although Eisenhower was a central figure in that event, the evidence for D-Day is too extensive to be fully compromised by one statement. Similarly, although Neil Armstrong is revered as a hero, to Apollo historians he’s just one of twelve moon-walking astronauts, and part of a vast cooperative effort involving hundreds of thousands of people and documented by huge volumes of evidence. Our belief in the moon landings doesn’t rest solely on Armstrong’s testimony, and so it can’t be reversed solely by it." (Metropole, no. 16 March 2003, p. 17)
--- End quote ---

That's most likely what is being (mis)quoted.  I hope it explains the full sentiment I expressed.  Hoax believers commonly omit the rationale and cite this in an attempt to show I'm ideologically entrenched.

bknight:

--- Quote from: JayUtah on May 26, 2016, 04:06:14 PM ---Here's the relevant paragraph from an article I wrote for Metropole.

--- Quote ---"What if Neil Armstrong himself said it was all a hoax? Wouldn’t that clinch it? Put another way, what if Gen. Eisenhower had “admitted” that D-Day in 1944 was just a hoax, that it never occurred? We’d properly discount that admission because although Eisenhower was a central figure in that event, the evidence for D-Day is too extensive to be fully compromised by one statement. Similarly, although Neil Armstrong is revered as a hero, to Apollo historians he’s just one of twelve moon-walking astronauts, and part of a vast cooperative effort involving hundreds of thousands of people and documented by huge volumes of evidence. Our belief in the moon landings doesn’t rest solely on Armstrong’s testimony, and so it can’t be reversed solely by it." (Metropole, no. 16 March 2003, p. 17)
--- End quote ---

That's most likely what is being (mis)quoted.  I hope it explains the full sentiment I expressed.  Hoax believers commonly omit the rationale and cite this in an attempt to show I'm ideologically entrenched.

--- End quote ---

I can't tell you where the quote from, but it was substantially from your web site, but thanks for the information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version