Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 48056 times)

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »
Wandering a little off-topic and likely only to be of minor interest to other former BAUTers..

In breaking news .. er trivia..  Did you know that until yesterday you could type BAUT into Google and the Cosmoquest-BAUT forum link appeared at number 2, on the very first page.

Today, that search result is gone.  On page 2 perhaps? Nope.  3,4.. Nope.  And no-one ever looks past that, as we know..

If you are wondering why I noticed, I do pop over there for a quick look every now and then and it was an easy way to get there from a pc other than my own - just type in BAUT and click the second link.

So, I wonder what changed or if it's just natural attrition.. another nail in the coffin of that name?  Anyway, visiting there was becoming less and less attractive anyway, and watching the trainwreck of the LiS forum debate - I think it's probably time for me to stop visiting..  Am I bitter?  Nah, just disappointed - I thought BAUT was worth something and now it seems to be pretty much gone altogether, in name and spirit.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
I've been a member there since 2006. I don't think LiS has ever been a good example of BAUT's value. It attracts people who's primary knowledge of science is through sci-fi stories. My biggest concern with the forum today is that the mods don't care if science is being bastardized or misrepresented as long as the language and demeanor is what they consider appropriate for a 5th grader. If the staff and owners don't show a desire to actively support critical thinking, the board quality will erode, which I'm afraid is happening.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline qt

• Venus
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
I don't know how it used to be, but right now, there's certainly a lot of talk about critical thinking.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
as long as the language and demeanor is what they consider appropriate for a 5th grader

Speaking of which, is life in the 5th grade really that prudish?  I can understand not wanting a laissez-faire attitude to language where all sorts of creative vocabulary are used, but this seems like the other end of the spectrum.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »
It seems to be the school nanny filters they're worried about which go purely by words used, not intent or alternate meanings. A while back, mods and posters were even haggling about using abbreviations like BS.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
It seems to be the school nanny filters they're worried about which go purely by words used, not intent or alternate meanings.

Which are obviously extremely prudish.

But I should really stop making mecha-posts.  First my Star Trek recap.  Now my flying guide.  I was supposed to be reviewing well tests this evening.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2013, 06:40:41 AM »
until yesterday you could type BAUT into Google and the Cosmoquest-BAUT forum link appeared at number 2, on the very first page.  Today, that search result is gone...
An update - Cosmoquest has reappeared as the primary Google search result for "BAUT" after a brief disappearance..  Was it a Google glitch?  Did Cosmoquest remove references to BAUT on their forum page to test if anyone would notice?

Dunno.  But I think it was a conspiracy of some kind! :o

Offline qt

• Venus
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »

No doubt.  And they'll probably get away with it too.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:45 AM »

No doubt.  And they'll probably get away with it too.

If it wasn't for those meddling kids!