Author Topic: The Biden Presidency  (Read 12503 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: The Biden Presidency
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2022, 06:30:06 AM »
I see now Putin is making ever more overt threats about the use of nuclear weapons.

Which raises the question, is he a bully or a fanatic? Getting that assessment wrong could be catastrophic.

= = = =

And in another development, I noticed something interesting about photos of anti-Putin protests around the world: where the signs weren't in Ukrainian, they were in English - in Thailand, Japan, Belgium, India, Spain, Turkey and Lithuania. It's not just that people around the world are united in their support of Ukraine, they're choosing to do so in a unified way I don't remember seeing before.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2022, 06:01:16 AM »
They can't continue with resistance too much with such a powerful country as Russia. With USA not willing to interfere, and France stating they will give them only weapons, I see a scenario dimilar to Iran and Hizbollah in Lebanon. The result will be that Ukraine will be destroyed, then the hreat countries will sit down and agree together, and the weak will pay the price, unfortunately.

The difference here though, is that economic sanctions had little effect... because Hizbollah and the Iranians were fanatics.. the Russian people not so much.

The ruble has crashed, the Russian stock market has crashed and trading suspended to halt the drop. The Russian economy will go into free-fall, and Putin's access to the billions he needs to keep fighting the war has been frozen. Additionally, all the cash he has dealt out to his pet oligarchs is invested in the west, and those assets are frozen too. Add to this the fact that more and more sports organizations have frozen Russia out, its airliners are pretty much prohibited from flying anywhere in the world, and its grading partners are turning their back on Russia. Its cargo ships will be next.

The Ukraine war may go on for a while yet, but the economic impact on Russia will be severe and long term. I do not think Putin has 100% support from many of the people around him, and actually, it would not surprise me if he got "offed" by some close to him.
► What you can assert without evidence, I can dismiss without evidence
► When you argue with idiots you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience.
► Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
Apparently Putin does have 100% support from the people around him because he's limited himself to being surrounded by sycophants and has shut everyone else out, in part because of COVID-induced paranoia.  Not that he's had it, but because he's terrified that he will.  Hence all those Really Big Tables.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2022, 02:36:45 PM »
And I’m sure Lindsay Graham shooting off his mouth has done wonders for Putin’s state of mind.

Paranoia will destroy ya, but unfortunately there’s always collateral damage.