Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479162 times)

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
Would you still like to have your say, if you were charged ten dollars per say?  ;D

I don't think that's such a bad thing (in proportion). If email cost more to send, we'd all get less spam.

I'd pay $0.01 (or maybe even $0.05) per post to any of the forums I belong to.

Hmmm... I think you're onto something here. ;)

...and at 1,000 posts I get a set of steak knives?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »
To use....how, exactly?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
Hmmm... I think you're onto something here. ;)

Sure! At your current rate of posting you can expect to reach 1000 posts in about 30-35 years. ;)
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
That may be fine for these guys, who have under 20 posts. But what about more active posters.  Do we get a volume discount?  At $0.02 I'd owe almost $8.00 by now.  That enough to buy two gallons of gas.  And whose dollars are we using her, the exchange fees will cost a bundle if we are dunned for every post.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »
I would stop posting altogether, because I'm not good at moderation and can't afford my current level.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
That may be fine for these guys, who have under 20 posts. But what about more active posters.  Do we get a volume discount?  At $0.02 I'd owe almost $8.00 by now.  That enough to buy two gallons of gas.  And whose dollars are we using her, the exchange fees will cost a bundle if we are dunned for every post.

Oh, it can be Zimbabwe dollars as far as I am concerned.  I just wanted to find a way to use "per say" in a sentence.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »

Oh, it can be Zimbabwe dollars as far as I am concerned.  I just wanted to find a way to use "per say" in a sentence.

a Z$10 Trillion note goes for US$0.99on eBay.  I think I can swing that. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
I would stop posting altogether

That's all the reason I need to never implement mandatory fees. :)

The forum doesn't really cost me much to operate. It would if it was as busy as BAUT, and if that ever happened I'd consider adding a voluntary donations box and/or advertising to help cover the costs. But any kind of membership fees would be unlikely, except maybe to give special privileges to the paid members.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »
Modest advertising like Google ads can be good because they provide a source of amusement.

Imagine all the moon real estate ones we'd get.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:28 AM »
That's all the reason I need to never implement mandatory fees. :)

Aw . . . .

In all seriousness, Google ads wouldn't bother me, provided they didn't flash or make noise.  Though of course, we could also just accept the pun which started this sidebar and move on!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
I always wonder about the "pre-video" ads on YouTube - the advertisers don't seem to have caught on yet that you need to get your message into the first five seconds, before the 'SKIP' button becomes active.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
I always wonder about the "pre-video" ads on YouTube - the advertisers don't seem to have caught on yet that you need to get your message into the first five seconds, before the 'SKIP' button becomes active.
Are there people out there not using Adblock Plus?

Offline Valis

• Venus
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
Are there people out there not using Adblock Plus?
Yes. I, for one, use Opera's built-in filtering system.

On a more serious note, there still are a lot of people who run IE without any ad blocking. Usually if you are able to install a third-party browser, you can also use an ad blocker, so it's a lot rarer to see a user with FF but without Adblock Plus.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
I don't use any ad blockers (other than the built in measures to prevent pop-ups and pop-unders). Most ads don't bother me. It's only when they employ seizure inducing animation or audio that I get bothered by them. Plus, as a web developer, I have to make sure I'm seeing the websites that I work on exactly the way they are supposed to, and I don't trust ad blockers not to remove non-advertisement images by accident.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
I don't use an ad blocker, but I'm thinking about starting just because the ads on the site where I read newspaper comics are really disruptive.  I hate anything where you can accidentally start a video playing without clicking on anything.