Author Topic: Beirut-shima  (Read 11542 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Beirut-shima
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »
You might have heard of the huge explosion that happened in Beirut..

I would need your skills in analyzing if this video of the missile is true or fake
thanks

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:34:20 AM by LionKing »
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Beirut-shima
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:56:39 AM »
Hi LionKing, yes, the explosion has certainly been in the news, thanks to the shocking video that people have recorded.

I hope you and your family are safe.

Personally, I don't think it was a missile that caused the explosion.

For one thing, some of the video of the explosion shows a series of small flashes of light in the seconds before the massive explosion. I understand that fireworks were being stored near the ammonium nitrate. So it makes sense to me that the original fire caused some of the fireworks to explode, causing those flashes, and also contributing to the main explosion.

Another thing is the locations where the two videos were recorded. This is something you might be able to help with - do you recognise the locations where the videos were recorded? Do you think you could point to them on a map of Beirut. The thing is that in both videos the path of the 'missile' is from upper left to lower right. That suggests the two videos must have been recorded in roughly the same direction from the point of the explosion (after all, to someone on the opposite side of the explosion the 'missile' would have travelled from upper right to lower left). So if the videos were actually recorded from locations in widely different directions from the explosion then the missile must have been inserted into the video.

Finally, none of the several videos I've seen show any indication of a missile. If it was really a missile, then at least some other videos must surely show it.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
Me and the family are good.. Thanks. The house trembled for two times like it would during an earthquake, but we are fine thanks God.

The story of fireworks is not sure. Some experts are saying it is ammunition that were set on fire first, then the ammonium nitrates blew.
I think many by now analyzed the video saying the missile is an addition..also like you said, itwould have appeared in other videos. It is huge tradgedy.

They at the port have been told it is dangerous .. they send letters to the judiciary system that tells them many times it is not the one to act,and they don't follow up and they do nothing. They should be put in prisons. I hope Macron visiting Lebanon today can get us an international tribunal for this.

I just want to know if it is the summer heat or some careless ironing they say was taking place there, or someone who threw a cigarette or what..
hopefully it will be cleared and culprits put to their responsibilities.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
You might have heard of the huge explosion that happened in Beirut..

I would need your skills in analyzing if this video of the missile is true or fake
thanks

One word... fake! The "missile" has been digitally inserted ine the video

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/beirut-explosion-cause-missile/
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
Good to hear you are ok!

Excellent find, Smartcooky!

Another thing against any missile attack theories: According to my understanding, Lebanon isn't a very large country. I'd guess both Syrian and Israeli air defense radars cover large swathes of your airspace. If it was a missile attack by the US or Israel, I'm sure Syria would happily publish their radar recordings to implicate their enemies. If it was a Syrian or Irani missile attack, I think Israel would do the same.

Lurky

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:00:32 AM »
Youtube has removed the video for violating terms of service. If this was, in particular, for spreading misinformation, then that is a really good thing.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 04:30:10 AM »
The media is also strong they would have exposed it and spoke about it all the time if it was true.
Meanwhile the corpses pile up and many are still missing. Thanks for countries who are sending help and who start to recognize that dealin with ngos is the right thing to do not the government who will steal the money.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
The governnent refuses tor eceive aids tell8ng countries we have enough of medical aids when 4 hospitals are out of service.this is all because these countries are not giving the aid directly to the state where it can steal them..
if we kill them some day those politicians, don't say we are barbaric
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
I want to add my gratitude that you and your family are OK, and pray that you continue to be.  I have known two Lebanese families for 40+ years.  One of them is OK, the other sustained some injuries from flying glass.  Their homes are now unlivable and they have relocated to vacation houses in the mountains.

Re: the earthquake - Sound in air moves 1 kilometer in ~3 seconds (shockwaves can move faster), but moves through the ground at more than 5 kilometers EACH second; so the ground-shock reached you many seconds before the air blast.

Stay safe!
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
Thanks Count Zero for your wishes..
yes they say there are around 6000 houses broken..
gratefully your friends are ok
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
I have online friends with friends in the area.
They're OK, but the event is definitely opening up some old wounds for them.
No way this is a missile. It would need to be nuclear to do that kind of damage for the size, and  I've seen film of  a Davy Crockett, a similar kiloton scale device, going off, and it looks nothing like this. No, it was a bunch of Ammonium nitrate going off. Horrific, yes, but unlikely to be intentional.
My deepest condolences. Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:02:00 PM by raven »

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 04:25:55 PM »
No way this is a missile. It would need to be nuclear to do that kind of damage for the size, and  I've seen film of  a Davy Crockett, a similar kiloton scale device, going off, and it looks nothing like this. No, it was a bunch of Ammonium nitrate going off. Horrific, yes, but unlikely to be intentional.
My deepest condolences. Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

also in Texas something similar happened. However, being unintentional doesn't mean there is no one responsible. Responsible people at the airport are arrested. I hope they don't get them out because of their political connections.

videos from local shops
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:43:12 PM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 04:26:54 PM »
Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I was telling my oldest daughter about this and that I thought it was the biggest non-nuclear explosion but told her to check it out. Yes, at the time it was but I didn’t know about the Texas City one in 1947 that was a bit bigger. Ammonia Nitrate was the cause of that one as well. More than twice as bad as Beirut. Sad to see something like this in a country already struggling.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 06:24:56 PM »

also in Texas something similar happened. However, being unintentional doesn't mean there is no one responsible. Responsible people at the airport are arrested. I hope they don't get them out because of their political connections.
I dearly hope those responsible are held accountable as well. This never should have happened.
I was telling my oldest daughter about this and that I thought it was the biggest non-nuclear explosion but told her to check it out. Yes, at the time it was but I didn’t know about the Texas City one in 1947 that was a bit bigger. Ammonia Nitrate was the cause of that one as well. More than twice as bad as Beirut. Sad to see something like this in a country already struggling.
Yep, both are biggies. Another one is the second N1 launch failure, fell right back onto the pad and, "Big badda boom!"

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

What about the Pepcon-disaster, where ammonium perchlorate exploded? Where is that on the scale?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.