Author Topic: Orion Mission radiation information.  (Read 2827 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Orion Mission radiation information.
« on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
I found the information awhile ago that detailed the radiation flux levels Orion was exposed to during it's mission but can't seem to locate it again. I had it bookmarked on my one computer that's down now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Re: Orion Mission radiation information.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Must have had a senior moment because I could of swore I seen some data about this but obviously, it must still not be available to the public. I did find that I had posted a question in the "EFT-1 Orion post mission UPDATES" at Nasa Spaceflight forum about the trajectory of the Orion test mission almost 3 years ago that I never got a response to. Maybe a polite way of saying I should have figured out the info can be asked for in the L2 section of the forum.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
Must have had a senior moment because I could of swore I seen some data about this but obviously, it must still not be available to the public. I did find that I had posted a question in the "EFT-1 Orion post mission UPDATES" at Nasa Spaceflight forum about the trajectory of the Orion test mission almost 3 years ago that I never got a response to. Maybe a polite way of saying I should have figured out the info can be asked for in the L2 section of the forum.

Well did you find the data you were looking for in your search?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:36 PM »

Must admit,  was getting frustrated with this and thought somebody might be able to post a link. A bit surprising that nobody has so I spent the last half hr at it and finally found something. I actually got on the right track when I clicked on a AULIS article written by Mary Bennett that used the data from the Orion test to supposedly prove the Apollo missions never left LEO. Here's the link to a site that has the official report from 2015:
https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/handle/2097/34592

Obviously I was wrong when I said the information wasn't available to the public. Another interesting link about the testing and preparations for the upcoming unmanned test flight:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20180006715.pdf

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:51:17 PM by mako88sb »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »

Must admit,  was getting frustrated with this and thought somebody might be able to post a link. A bit surprising that nobody has so I spent the last half hr at it and finally found something. I actually got on the right track when I clicked on a AULIS article written by Mary Bennett that used the data from the Orion test to supposedly prove the Apollo missions never left LEO. Here's the link to a site that has the official report from 2015:
https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/handle/2097/34592

Obviously I was wrong when I said the information wasn't available to the public. Another interesting link about the testing and preparations for the upcoming unmanned test flight:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20180006715.pdf

That is a somewhat obscure address to find the data you searched.  I do remember Bennett's discourse after the flight.  Even though she completely ignore the different trajectories of the flight with Orion in some of the densest areas of the VARB and Apollo skirting those dense areas, she concluded that "from the data it is obvious that Apollo didn't go through the VARB twice", or words to that effect.  I eve asked Jay a number of years ago, how was her calculations.  IIRC he stated she probably didn't have way to calculate the rate.  Ignore her, or words to that effect.  I'm not trying to put words into his mouth.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan