Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope  (Read 71627 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Covers removed and ready to start the testing prior to launch in 018.  The one aspect that disappoints me is the launch by ESA.

Why? I think it is great.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
Covers removed and ready to start the testing prior to launch in 018.  The one aspect that disappoints me is the launch by ESA.

IMO it would be better if it were launched by NASA, that's all.  I believe the telescope will be of great benefit as Hubble though.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »

IMO it would be better if it were launched by NASA, that's all.  I believe the telescope will be of great benefit as Hubble though.

Why would it be better?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

Why would it be better?
Not being dependent on another nation for our space business, much like being dependent on Russia for RD-180's.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »

Why would it be better?
Not being dependent on another nation for our space business, much like being dependent on Russia for RD-180's.

Well, I can understand there's an element of national pride involved, but wouldn't it be a better approach for all countries and agencies to cooperate and share technologies and facilities.  There may be cost and efficiency advantages to be gained overall, in the long term.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »

Well, I can understand there's an element of national pride involved, but wouldn't it be a better approach for all countries and agencies to cooperate and share technologies and facilities.  There may be cost and efficiency advantages to be gained overall, in the long term.
In this case it is not pride, but rather not being dependent on another country for launches.  Of course it can be beneficial for all countries to work in harmony, but that isn't the issue in my thoughts.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »

In this case it is not pride, but rather not being dependent on another country for launches.  Of course it can be beneficial for all countries to work in harmony, but that isn't the issue in my thoughts.

What bit of "collaboration" is hard to understand?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »

What bit of "collaboration" is hard to understand?
In a word, none.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
So why object?  You do realise that the JWS is not an exclusively NASA project?  That ESA (and others) are involved as well?  That part of ESA's contribution is supply a launcher?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:31:12 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Lets put the other shoe in the loop, how many non US satellites are launched by US rockets?  If there are no US rockets large enough to lift the JWST into orbit, I wonder why?  If there are why not use them?  Is putting a 5+Billion dollar investment into hands that we don't control the best use of funds?
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »
Lets put the other shoe in the loop, how many non US satellites are launched by US rockets?  If there are no US rockets large enough to lift the JWST into orbit, I wonder why?  If there are why not use them?  Is putting a 5+Billion dollar investment into hands that we don't control the best use of funds?

Why shouldn't an international mission be launched by a non-US rocket as part of the international contribution? 

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »

Why shouldn't an international mission be launched by a non-US rocket as part of the international contribution?
An international project? when the only part of the project come from ESA Euros, Canadian Space Agency 39 M and the US 4.5-6 B?
This discussion is pointless as you don't understand my misgivings nor can I impart those feelings.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »

An international project? when the only part of the project come from ESA Euros, Canadian Space Agency 39 M and the US 4.5-6 B?
This discussion is pointless as you don't understand my misgivings nor can I impart those feelings.

ESA's contribution is described by NASA as "significant".  ESA is providing a launcher and all supporting services, one instrument, and equal contributor to a second.  Canada is supplying another instrument.  This makes it an international mission led by NASA.

Online Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:27 AM »
I think that you are confusing a number of issues. The US was dependant on other countries for certain launches following the Shuttle retirement. However, JWST is an international collaboration involving 17 countries. It is NOT a pure NASA project that is having to rely on another country lifting it into space. The concept was designed from the start as an international collaboration.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
I think that you are confusing a number of issues. The US was dependant on other countries for certain launches following the Shuttle retirement. However, JWST is an international collaboration involving 17 countries. It is NOT a pure NASA project that is having to rely on another country lifting it into space. The concept was designed from the start as an international collaboration.
No confusion here, and I do agree with your comment on the space agency being dependent when the shuttle program was ended.  This whole concept of not developing newer boosters is part and parcel of my concerns.

EDIT:
Here is some better news concerning developing newer boosters from NASA
http://www.spacepolicyonline.com/news/nasa-managers-sls-orion-on-track-for-2018-launch
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:34:40 AM by bknight »
Eugene Cernan