Off Topic > Beyond Belief

The Roswell Slides, How too much of "I want to believe" can bite you in your a$$

<< < (2/3) > >>

twik:
I'm just sad. Not because of this being revealed as a hoax, because seriously who could give even a cursory look at that picture and not say "museum exhibit"?

But apparently the curators feel that this mummy "has a negative personality." He's never even been given a name. Poor little fellow! Who could look at the body of this child and say, "meh, he's not entertaining enough"?

bknight:

--- Quote from: twik on August 24, 2015, 12:43:05 PM ---I'm just sad. Not because of this being revealed as a hoax, because seriously who could give even a cursory look at that picture and not say "museum exhibit"?

But apparently the curators feel that this mummy "has a negative personality." He's never even been given a name. Poor little fellow! Who could look at the body of this child and say, "meh, he's not entertaining enough"?

--- End quote ---
Exactly.  If you read the blog below the image:

--- Quote ---Tom Carey, Don Schmitt, Anthony Bragalia, Richard Dolan, Adam Dew, Jaime Maussan was informed about
the “problem” weeks before the big event. Jaime Maussan refused to listen – to much money to lose in
case of canseling the event.

Sue them and have Your money back.
--- End quote ---
ANYTHING for the almighty [insert currency of your choice] dollar [/insert currency of your choice].

smartcooky:

--- Quote from: bknight on August 24, 2015, 01:06:25 PM ---
--- Quote ---Tom Carey, Don Schmitt, Anthony Bragalia, Richard Dolan, Adam Dew, Jaime Maussan was informed about
the “problem” weeks before the big event. Jaime Maussan refused to listen
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

bknight:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on August 24, 2015, 05:51:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: bknight on August 24, 2015, 01:06:25 PM ---
the “problem” weeks before the big event. Jaime Maussan refused to listen
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I believe you hit the nail on the head!

twik:
There's two possibilities - the promoters were simply venal, or they are true believers themselves. And maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I think the second option is the closer to the truth.

Because if I were simply a con artist, I'd look at those slides and go, "That's clearly a museum exhibit. There's no way the ultra-powerful government Black Ops would put one of the most significant artifacts in human history in a cheap glass display case (along with other artifacts), with propped up paper labels identifying it. Even if they, for some reason, did so, the fact that someone took a snapshot from outside the case with a flash camera, clearly within the sight range of at least one other person (the lady in the blue suit on the far side of the case), makes me doubt that this is actually a top-secret facility. It's simply a snap someone took on their vacation at a local museum. It's so obvious, how would I ever convince people it was an alien in a top-secret laboratory?"

It's so obvious, I can't imagine a good con thinking anyone would fall for it, at least without an exit strategy. If it were a deliberate fake, I'd expect it to be more convincing. Which leaves the still incredible idea that these "researchers" were given these slides and thought that this was actually an alien, not the remains of an unfortunate toddler in a small museum.

Then people wonder why Ufology isn't treated as a serious field of study.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version