Author Topic: You Want to Talk Grasping at Straws?  (Read 18666 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: You Want to Talk Grasping at Straws?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 04:04:30 AM »
I bet Entropy's life started very ordered but it's chaos now.
At least he can count on always coming out ahead.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »
Yep, in the world of the conspiracy theorist nothing is real, everything is conjured up purely for their benefit - the entire world's media and political elite are manufacturing things left right and centre just to make them fooled - damn how lucky we are that these guys are keeping their eyes open for us.

That's how egocentric and narcissistic these people are.

On the naming front, we have a guy at work whose surname is Jones. His parents saw fit to name him Tom. It's not unusual. Oh he never tires of that line...

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 05:34:47 AM »

True story.

We had a Mr Sherunkle in our company once. His parents named him Robert. Ladies and gentlemen, it's my pleasure to introduce you to Mr. Bob Sherunkle.  ;D ;D
We also have a Ken Kong too, and a Steven Wankoff  :o :o

Many a spare moment was whiled away by searching our company directory of 100,000 employees for the weird and wonderful.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 06:44:08 AM »

True story.

We had a Mr Sherunkle in our company once. His parents named him Robert. Ladies and gentlemen, it's my pleasure to introduce you to Mr. Bob Sherunkle.  ;D ;D
We also have a Ken Kong too, and a Steven Wankoff  :o :o

As a Brit, I find that last one particularly amusing. Though, to be honest, the Wankel Rotary Engine was a source of endless hilarity with me and my peers when I was a kid.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »
As a Brit, I find that last one particularly amusing. Though, to be honest, the Wankel Rotary Engine was a source of endless hilarity with me and my peers when I was a kid.

Totally juvenile humour, but still worth a giggle.  ;)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 07:47:20 AM »

The simple pleasures of youth.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
And I mean, doesn't literally everyone have stories of having met someone with an unusual punning name?  Yet if something important involves one of them, clearly, that's proof of a hoax of some kind.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
And I mean, doesn't literally everyone have stories of having met someone with an unusual punning name?  Yet if something important involves one of them, clearly, that's proof of a hoax of some kind.
Absolutely

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
Many a spare moment was whiled away by searching our company directory of 100,000 employees for the weird and wonderful.

We had a Richard Head. I kid you not.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

We had a Richard Head. I kid you not.

When I was at Pilot Training School, we used to have a get together every few months, pilot instructors, tech staff, admin staff along with wives & girlfriends. We had a particular pilot whose name was John Dick, and on one occasion, he brought his pregnant wife along to one of these shindigs. Eventually, as it happens, the subject of baby names came up. When John's wife said that if it was a boy, she wanted to call him "Shaun", we techs felt duty bound to gently inform her that this was not a good choice...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:18:48 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:59:58 PM »
Ok, I'm missing something.  If it's obscene or vulgar, you can PM me.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 10:30:11 AM »
One of the grand dames of Houston was named Ima Hogg.  She eschewed her last name and was known to everyone from the housekeeper, to the mayor, to the Governor and various Presidential cabinet members as Miss Ima.  She made several important contributions to Houston, particularly to parks,  and was alive when I was a kid.  So we used to have juvenile fun with her name.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
Ok, I'm missing something.  If it's obscene or vulgar, you can PM me.

Shaun Dick the famous Brazilian? (shaun is pronounced the same way as "shorn")
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
When I was in High School, there I knew a guy whose name was Richard Balhs. One teacher, always called him Dick. Richard had an uncle named Harold. Presently I know a Brad Assman, it's pronounced "Auusman," or so they say.

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Shaun Dick the famous Brazilian? (shaun is pronounced the same way as "shorn")

Depending on your accent.  I didn't get it, either, because it's pronounced more like "shawn" here.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates