Author Topic: The Biden Presidency  (Read 31639 times)

Offline jfb

• Mars
Re: The Biden Presidency
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Prosecco for us.  Before dinner I put it in the ice tray in the freezer so it would cool down quickly, but then kinda forgot about it.

Prosecco can freeze, especially after you pop the cork and reduce the pressure and it all seizes up at once.  Instead of a foam fountain I got a bit of a slush fountain.  I had to put my thumb over the bottle to let it depressurize slowly and managed to save most of it. 

Yeah, happy with that.  Happy with the ceremony.  Not that happy to see the Sedition Caucus, but what can you do.  Enjoying the fact that Rand Paul was triggered by the comments about white supremacists and assumed that Biden was talking about him and other members of Congress - like, why would you think that, Bubba? 

Now the real fun begins.  We have the pandemic, we have the economic fallout from the pandemic, we have domestic terrorism, we have all the chronic issues with air and water and infrastructure and criminal justice reform and economic inequity and health care costs.  The Democrats have a mostly clear path ahead of them to get stuff done in the next two years, assuming they nuke the filibuster (they will have to nuke the filibuster). 

Here's hoping. 

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »
Prosecco can freeze, especially after you pop the cork and reduce the pressure and it all seizes up at once.  Instead of a foam fountain I got a bit of a slush fountain.  I had to put my thumb over the bottle to let it depressurize slowly and managed to save most of it.

"Houston, can you confirm a burst helium disc?"   :D

Yeah, happy with that.  Happy with the ceremony.

It's just refreshing to see a celebration that focuses on America and Americans instead of focusing on a President who happens to be a hopeless narcissist.

Now the real fun begins.  We have the pandemic, we have the economic fallout from the pandemic, we have domestic terrorism, we have all the chronic issues with air and water and infrastructure and criminal justice reform and economic inequity and health care costs.  The Democrats have a mostly clear path ahead of them to get stuff done in the next two years, assuming they nuke the filibuster (they will have to nuke the filibuster).

My worry is that we, the American people who lean to the left, will have been so appalled for so long at such egregiously self-serving and rapacious legislation that it will take us too long to recalibrate and treat critically legislation and policies that Democrats favor.  Just because it's not overtly ghastly doesn't mean it's assumed to be the best course.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Republicans on Jan. 19:  Stop fighting; we need unity.
Republicans on Jan. 20:  Impeach Joe Biden!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2021, 04:12:20 PM »
President Biden displays an Apollo 17 lunar specimen in the Oval Office.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa-lends-moon-rock-to-new-administration/

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »
Republicans on Jan. 19:  Stop fighting; we need unity.
Republicans on Jan. 20:  Impeach Joe Biden!

Well, to be fair to the Republican party, it's only a few unhinged Q-believers who seem to be pushing for impeachment.  I suspect Taylor-Greene's attempt will get nowhere, and have no widespread support from the majority of members.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
Well, to be fair to the Republican party, it's only a few unhinged Q-believers who seem to be pushing for impeachment.

Yeah, we'll see how long a Republican minority in the House wants to indulge these kooks.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
I've heard suggestions that they're planning to form a separate political party, and Jesus, I hope they do.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
Or a separate country.  These revelations are terrifying and sickening.  I maintain that the media personalities and politicians who have tried to exploit this group of people for their own various ends had no [expletive] clue who these people are.  It's all been just a game to them.  This is why accountability needs to be far-reaching, deep-digging, and unrelenting.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »
I've heard suggestions that they're planning to form a separate political party, and Jesus, I hope they do.

The Qberts or the remaining sane Republicans?  I can see it going either way. 

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
Qberts.  They feel betrayed by Donald Trump and the Republican Party.  Which they were.  I've even seen snippets here and there that say Trump was a Democrat plant, meant to destroy the Republicans from within.  (Well, he did destroy the party from within, but not because the Democrats sent him.)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2021, 06:34:44 PM »
Or a separate country.  These revelations are terrifying and sickening.  I maintain that the media personalities and politicians who have tried to exploit this group of people for their own various ends had no [expletive] clue who these people are.  It's all been just a game to them.  This is why accountability needs to be far-reaching, deep-digging, and unrelenting.

I hope not.

The rest of the free world needs a USA as strong as possible. For all its internal flaws, the USA was key to victory in World War Two and the Cold War, and it's fairly clear the threats to freedom and democracy are as strong now as they ever have been.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2021, 08:02:54 PM »
With all due respect, I do not see how they add to America's strength, trying to bully a wannabe despot into office against all facts and democratic process.
They are not America's strength. America's strength is its diversity, its multitude of people and ideas coming together. Not them. They are a rot on American democracy, a fascist, and I do not use the word mildly, infestation. They weaken America, for all their bravado and claims of wanting to 'make America great'.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
With all due respect, I do not see how they add to America's strength, trying to bully a wannabe despot into office against all facts and democratic process.
They are not America's strength. America's strength is its diversity, its multitude of people and ideas coming together. Not them. They are a rot on American democracy, a fascist, and I do not use the word mildly, infestation. They weaken America, for all their bravado and claims of wanting to 'make America great'.
I do believe Peter was referring to "Or a separate country" with his "I hope not".
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2021, 07:52:19 AM »
Qberts.  They feel betrayed by Donald Trump and the Republican Party.  Which they were.  I've even seen snippets here and there that say Trump was a Democrat plant, meant to destroy the Republicans from within.  (Well, he did destroy the party from within, but not because the Democrats sent him.)
I predict someone will try to blame the Clintons.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »

If we'd planted him, we certainly wouldn't have given up so much we care about in the process.  Three Supreme Court justices?  No.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates